95 K1500 frame to a K2500 or K3500 Frame swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bryson

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum but it seems to be the closest for what im after.My personal truck is a 1995 GMC sierra 1500 with a 305 and 4L60E,I have i guess what youd call sentimental value to my truck,but i need a truck able to haul aswell.Instead of buying a whole nother truck i was wondering what it would take to swap the cab and bed over to a K2500 or even a K3500 frame.Ofcourse i would also be using a 350 motor in it possibly a duramax or cummins later on,any info is helpfull.Also the cab and bed im wanting to swap is a single cab and stepside bed,not sure if they made the heavier models with these on them.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Body is the same no matter 1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton, 2wd or 4wd. Suspension is what's different. Frame too, but we know that lol.

damage41

Reaction score
I swapped a 1990 2 wheel ,automatic 1/2 ton drive body onto my 1990 1 ton 4x4 4speed frame a couple years ago and I am getting ready to do it again just make sure your swapping long box to long box or short box to short box same with the cabs regular to regular xtended to xtended.If you got any questions let me know.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is your current truck a short bed or long bed? Short bed 2500/3500 trucks are rare as hens' teeth and only made from 98-00.
Did you mean to say "stepside" instead of "short bed?
I didnt even know they made a step K2500 K3500
Now I want one.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine is 95 K2500, xtd cab shortbed. And yeah I really like my GM stuff.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's a crew cab C2500/6.5' bed riding around here. The guy swapped a step side bed on it. Looks ugly as hell to me.

I haven't been able to snap a photo of it the 2 or 3 times I've come across it.

CKVortec

Indian name is "Walks on Knuckles"
Reaction score
It sounds easy "I'll just swap the body from one to the other". but when you get down to taking two trucks apart and putting one back together you find that it's a ton of work.
You need to really weigh the "sentimental value" of your truck. and decide for real if you want to keep it and if you really want to beef it up. You are much better off selling it as is (unmolested) and buying the truck of your dreams (unmolested also) rather than buying a whole other truck to Frankenstein something together.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It sounds easy "I'll just swap the body from one to the other". but when you get down to taking two trucks apart and putting one back together you find that it's a ton of work.
You need to really weigh the "sentimental value" of your truck. and decide for real if you want to keep it and if you really want to beef it up. You are much better off selling it as is (unmolested) and buying the truck of your dreams (unmolested also) rather than buying a whole other truck to Frankenstein something together.

Depends on how much you like punishment. I'd do it if it weren't a rot box.