95 K1500 frame to a K2500 or K3500 Frame swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
It sounds easy "I'll just swap the body from one to the other". but when you get down to taking two trucks apart and putting one back together you find that it's a ton of work.
You need to really weigh the "sentimental value" of your truck. and decide for real if you want to keep it and if you really want to beef it up. You are much better off selling it as is (unmolested) and buying the truck of your dreams (unmolested also) rather than buying a whole other truck to Frankenstein something together.

Frankenstein something together.

I resemble that remark!

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is your current truck a short bed or long bed? Short bed 2500/3500 trucks are rare as hens' teeth and only made from 98-00.

ECSB frame option with the C6P RPO (8600 GVW) was standard option from 96-98 and on into 99/00.
You might get lucky and find a frame like that in the junkyard, I know there's a burnt up 97 shortbed in one of the local yards I've thought about snatching and stripping it down to the bare frame.

Crew cab short beds are another story; they were 99-00 only, same as the CCSB dually, but I think those frames were the same save for the rear leaf back.

CKVortec

Indian name is "Walks on Knuckles"
Reaction score
Why not re-enforce your current frame? find some 3/8" steel or something and weld away
I have the 2500HD and the differences are far more than just the frame. The 4L80 transmission, front and rear axles, springs, frame, front suspension, 8 lug wheels etc.
If you are bound and determined to go forward with this I HIGHLY recommend that you find a complete truck and swap the body onto the undercarriage. Good luck finding one where the body is damaged enough to be a good donor but has no frame damage.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
ECSB frame option with the C6P RPO (8600 GVW) was standard option from 96-98 and on into 99/00.
You might get lucky and find a frame like that in the junkyard, I know there's a burnt up 97 shortbed in one of the local yards I've thought about snatching and stripping it down to the bare frame.

Crew cab short beds are another story; they were 99-00 only, same as the CCSB dually, but I think those frames were the same save for the rear leaf back.

Ahh, I thought it was 98-00 all this time. Don't think I've seen a 96-97 yet. Based on what I've seen, dually frames aren't special, it's the crew cabs that got the thicker frames.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depending on where OP is located, frame is probably rusted out.

Maybe a Southern beat up truck without engine in the cab/bed configuration you want? Keep the tranny, brake system and axles (assuming you are okay with 8 lug) and swap your bed, cab, fenders and hood.

Or if you want to keep 6 lugs, you'll have to more parts swapping, but still could be done. Focus on 96-00 as was stated.

I don't think I've ever seen an early GMT 400 (88-95) 2500 with anything but a long bed.

CKVortec

Indian name is "Walks on Knuckles"
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum but it seems to be the closest for what im after.My personal truck is a 1995 GMC sierra 1500 with a 305 and 4L60E,I have i guess what youd call sentimental value to my truck,but i need a truck able to haul aswell.Instead of buying a whole nother truck i was wondering what it would take to swap the cab and bed over to a K2500 or even a K3500 frame.Ofcourse i would also be using a 350 motor in it possibly a duramax or cummins later on,any info is helpfull.Also the cab and bed im wanting to swap is a single cab and stepside bed,not sure if they made the heavier models with these on them.
Bryson, just what are you wanting to haul? Camper? Tow a trailer? Work truck? Plow? If there is something specific there are ways to increase your towing/hauling abilities without replacing the entire undercarriage.
If you only swap the frame you still have axles from a 1500 and a 4L60 trans. There is no easier answer than selling your truck and buying what you want, even if it needs work it's less work and you won't have to remember, my brakes are a 97 2500HD, but my master cylinder is a 95 1500 and such. If you're really planning to swap to a diesel some day you'll need hydro-boost brakes and a whole different fuel system.
So, do you just want to be able to point at it and say "look what I did"? Because that is the only reason I can think of to do any of this.

Andrew7

Reaction score
Here’s my Frankenstein’93 C3500 with a 2015 8’ bed. I love it! The stock bed was completely shot. No one knows going by at 30mph.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach