95 diesel cluster work in a 97 K1500 6.5?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Itsnotme1988

Reaction score
Just pulled my cluster to R&R the bulb outages and see on the silkscreen panel it is from a 95 C/K Truck. No boss for air-bag light. 16176841 is the part number on the panel. Could this cause issues? I know the Wait to start light and SES light are not working, as well as the ABS light. What year clusters are compatible on the GMT400?

4thesporty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think they would interchange as '95 was OBD1 and your '97 is OBDII.

Or maybe this has nothing to do with it, just putting it out there.

glfirefighter144

Whoa Black Betty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i know the gas motor trucks will interchange 95 to 96+, but who knows with a diesel, i would think so, but it may be an experimental deal

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
yes it should interchange. the diesels and gas clusters are different though.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Diesels are a different beast from the gas clusters. The only thing they share with the OBDII gassers is the gauge housing.

OBDI gassers have an external VSSB (for speedometer) and OBDII gassers have it built in to the PCM.

All Diesels use an external VSSB.

Diesels all take thier RPM signal off the alternator windings. Gassers do not.

A 95 diesel cluster should swap over no problemo. 95 was a ******* year for lots of things though, so there IS a chance it will not. see. There's not a lot inside a diesel cluster anyways. Mostly just stepper motors and one small board for speedo.

Your missing lights are likely burned out bulbs or bad contacts. All they are is circuit traces and bulbs. They receive 12v power or they don't. They only potential problem may be the PCB contacts may be in different places on the 95 than the 97 dash plug. Often easily fixed by moving "pins" in the plug.

Unless you're talking about pre 95 that is....

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will say that it may work but I don't know for sure. I do know that all of the 97-00 clusters that I have seen (4-5) have all said 1997 truck on the back of the printed circuit board. That makes me think that there is a difference in the earlier clusters.