'95-'98 grill in a '88

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
I got the bumper filler that came out easy, the side pieces were difficult and got damaged. Most of the hardware attaching the side pieces was corroded badly.
At least the bumper filler is un cracked and already painted white. I didn't get the bumper brackets out because I forgot my breaker bar. The bumper bolts (around a 21 MM head size?) look pretty corroded as well, I will bring my reciprocating saw if I have to cut the frame to remove the brackets lol..

You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I got the bumper filler that came out easy, the side pieces were difficult and got damaged. Most of the hardware attaching the side pieces was corroded badly.
At least the bumper filler is un cracked and already painted white. I didn't get the bumper brackets out because I forgot my breaker bar. The bumper bolts (around a 21 MM head size?) look pretty corroded as well, I will bring my reciprocating saw if I have to cut the frame to remove the brackets lol..

They may be 22mm which is equivalent to 7/8". IIRC that's what they are on the square body trucks. 1/2" bolts have 7/8" heads, usually.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm still collecting data for using a 95+ grill on an earlier truck. Bits and pieces keep cropping up like this one. I keep hoping someone will do a definitive write up on exactly what is needed to do this swap. If I get to the grill before I find one I will write it myself, but my work avoidance gene keeps kicking in and preventing it from getting done.

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
I'm still collecting data for using a 95+ grill on an earlier truck. Bits and pieces keep cropping up like this one. I keep hoping someone will do a definitive write up on exactly what is needed to do this swap. If I get to the grill before I find one I will write it myself, but my work avoidance gene keeps kicking in and preventing it from getting done.

Hi Eveready, you can use my pictures if you would like to do this. I can take some more pictures to make it clearer for people.

eran tomer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
LOL this subject always gets tripped up. YES you need the 94-up brackets, not all four of them, but just the two main ones directly forward from the frame rails. The outer two do not change.

The reason you need them is the 94-up bumper/grille filler strip (the trim piece you mentioned) is deeper, and the 94-up brackets are a little bit longer to allow for that piece to fit correctly.

Richard

i put an early grill in my 95 and the bumper bolts are visible, now i understand why is that. however i see in the parts diagram that the outer brackets also have a different part numbers, meaning they are different too.
btw- i didn't change the quarter plastic pieces at the ends of the wings and it isn't too bad.

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
I got to the yard yesterday and acquired the "front" bumper brackets from a '98 (the same ones as pointed out in the pictures previously. It was a 22 MM that had "fixed" nuts on the other side of the bracket. A breaker bar was necessary to remove them.. I also took some pictures from what I think is a 95-98 grill install on a '94 when not using the proper bumper brackets etc...

Last edited: