94 TBI 350 stalling problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clutch4190

Reaction score
Ive got a 1994 k1500 with a 350 tbi and lately its been stalling while driving. It seems to only be doing it while at idle speed, ie coasting or sitting at a light. MOST of the time it will fire right back up if i throw it in neutral but occasionally it will not start until hours later, leaving me stranded. I am getting no CEL and it does not miss fire or run and differently at all when it is running. Any ideas?

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
i had a 82 firebird act like that, turned out to be the ecm but these trucks never seem to have that issue, how old is the fuel pump, i wonder if the pump motor has a dead spot and occasionally stops pumping, seems to be the most common cause with stalling

Clutch4190

Reaction score
Id hate to change the pump and that not be the problem. Id need a pressure gauge that i can watch while driving though cuz it will idle all day long sometimes and not have a single hiccup.

Clutch4190

Reaction score
So i was able to recreate the problem while parked. when it dies and i try to start it back up there is no injector pulse. ether will start it but it will only stay running if i am on the gas keeping the RPMs anywhere above idle. as soon as i let off the throttle, it idle for a few seconds then putts and cuts out. then no injector pulse again... Fuel pump not feeding enough pressure? I am going to try and borrow a fuel pressure gauge to see what its doin. Otherwise, what would control injector pulse that would cause them to cut out at idle?

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Check the wiring for the injectors. As far as what can electronically control the injectors, the TPS and ECM are all that come to mind...many others regulate fuel amount but they talk to the ECM which tells the injectors what to do. I believe the TPS sends it's information to the ECM for injector pulse.

Clutch4190

Reaction score
I guess i need to look for an ECM and try that, i swapped in a new TPS thinking the same thing and it didnt make a difference.

shibbershabber

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just go and borrow a fuel pressure tester from Autozone or someplace.

I was having similar issues and my fuel pressure was absolute crap... I havent done my pump yet though.

I think you will be better informed once youve checked your pressure.