94 tbi 350 sputters and stalls with advance line plugged in...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mockspeed88

Reaction score
So my 94 runs like crazy with the electronic advance line connected (black and tan wire) unplug it truck runs great. Everything is new. Distributor, o2, wires, plugs, coil, iac.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Diagnose problems with wire harness, EST module, ignition module and/or ECM.

"New" distributors are virtually all Made-In-China, with questionable ignition modules.

Connecting a scan tool may or may not give you a lead on the cause. Connecting a timing light would probably be helpful.

Last edited:

mockspeed88

Reaction score
Oh I timed it at 0 btdc. I used a timing light. But it sputters and dies when shifting into reverse and drive. I "adjusted by ear" and its run better but a little rough still. Could it be the ecm? It's practically the only thing I haven't replaced

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I timed it at 0 btdc. I used a timing light.
Reconnect timing light, find out if the timing changes when the EST wire is re-connected.

Rev engine, timing should advance even more.

But it sputters and dies when shifting into reverse and drive. I "adjusted by ear" and its run better but a little rough still.
Put the timing back where it belongs, find the real source of the trouble.

Could it be the ecm? It's practically the only thing I haven't replaced
Yes, it "could" be the ECM. It could also be the ignition module, the EST module, or the wire harness that connects all these parts.

You still have some diagnosing to do.

I suggest using the service manual to help sort out what's good from what's bad.