94 c1500 5.7 Silverado wont run or stalls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ianmac

Reaction score
I first noticed a problem at the beginning of last week my truck was taking a bit longer to start than usual then began to idle a bit uneven (like it was running on 7 cylinders every now and again) but was fine underway. The plan was to take a look today (Sunday my day off work).
On Saturday I was driving and the engine sort of stumbled as I pulled away from a set of lights (it has never done this before) on my way it done this 2 more times.
I got to my destination and went to set off and it stalled when I accelerated in the parking lot.
I restarted and pulled away there was very little power at first then it picked up I decided to run for home. On the way it stalled again and wouldn't resart.
I killed the battery trying to start it (not thinking at the time I took the battery off to recharge it that erased the codes on the ECU) this all happened within about 4 miles.
Today with fresh battery and a can of gas (the tank was under 1/4 full gas was just incase) I got it started straight away I let it idle for 5 minutes and as soon as I put it in drive it stalled and would not re start I gave it a whiff of starting fluid it started but died like it was starved of fuel.
I ran a scanner on it that Iborrowed and only got code 12 so I got it towed home.
Could it just be a plugged up fuel filter? or as I am thinking perhaps a vacuum leak? Or one of the sensors TPS. MAP Sensor, coolant temp / air temp sensors, EGR Valve, idle speed control? Without a code I am at a loss as to what is wrong. I have had the truck just over a year now I do get a check engine light but just assumed that it was because the cat had been bypassed the light only came on when it had been running about 15 minutes at normal temperature.
Will check the vacuum lines wnen I get home from work tomorrow.
Anybody have a better idea what could be the problem especially with the sensors etc so I can order any parts that I will need I am guessing I will need to get a fuel pressure testeras well.