'94 5.7L rough idling problems, possible fuel pump. Need ideas/suggestions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LSUfan71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi, guys. Let me give you some info and see if I can get some suggestions. I've had my truck for about a year, it currently has about 180,200 miles. The problem right now is it's idling very roughly and dies after a few minutes. I can drive it but I get strong knocking with any acceleration so I'm keeping it in the driveway right now.

The situation: A few weeks ago I let my truck get low on gas and I was headed to get gas when it died, I'm sure it ran out of gas (yea, I know, I'm an idiot). Anyway, I got some gas into it on the side of the road and it still wouldn't start. Had it towed to my mechanic the next day. He later tells me that the reason my truck won't start is due a bad distributor. He also says the starter is making some bad noise and needs to be changed (which I knew about and was putting it off to save money). I give the go-ahead to do the work. Days pass with no info, I drop in and he says he got the truck started but it was idling/running very roughly and he didn't know why. He wanted to visually inspect the timing chain so I give the ok. He calls back and the timing chain/timing is fine. Nearly a week passes and he still can't figure out why the engine is running so roughly. Finally I get enough of not hearing that it's fixed so I bring my truck home. Mechanic charged me $350 for a new distributor, new spark plugs, and new starter (no charge for labor because he couldnt' fix it), I figure this was a decent deal (but frustrating).

Note: fuel filter is only 3-4 months old and the EGR valve is about 6 months old. Fairly new battery, new battery connectors.

So, I try to drive the truck around for a bit. It runs VERY rough, dies every time it's stopped. Got noticeably worse over a period of 2-3 days. Very difficult to start. I then replaced the fuel pressure regulator and the IAC with little to no change. I installed new spark plug wires and starting was immediately improved, starts instantly now. Still idling rough though, hesitating. The truck was NOT running roughly when it initially died and was towed.

My guess is that I damaged the fuel pump when I ran the fuel tank dry, I'm guessing the rough idling is due to a bad fuel pump now. I'm about to go get a loaner fuel pressure gauge from AutoZone and test it tomorrow evening. Can a bad fuel pump cause loud knocking?

Do you guys think I'm on the right track? Feel free to comment and/or make suggestions, I'm a novice mechanic at best.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Check your fuel filter.

Also, I had accidently crossed two plug wires last week, and I was getting a serious knock from my drive from backyard to the front, and of course running rough.
Go over them again make sure you didn't cross any.

iEnding

Georgia Boy
Reaction score
My 94 was doing somewhat the same thing and it was the IAC plus the TPS

iEnding

Georgia Boy
Reaction score
Your engine code is just 12. Which is just checking to make sure the bulb is good. With no other codes your computer isn't reading any problems with the truck.

95chev

Fear the Deere
Reaction score
The timing on the tbi motors is very touchy if its off even by a few degrees it will run like crap, if the mechanic replaced the distributor and didnt time it right that could be your problem

LSUfan71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check your fuel filter.

Also, I had accidently crossed two plug wires last week, and I was getting a serious knock from my drive from backyard to the front, and of course running rough.
Go over them again make sure you didn't cross any.

Good idea, I'll double check.

My 94 was doing somewhat the same thing and it was the IAC plus the TPS

I forgot to mention that I replaced the TPS a few months ago with the EGR.

Your engine code is just 12. Which is just checking to make sure the bulb is good. With no other codes your computer isn't reading any problems with the truck.

I was curious about what it would look like, I had never seen it before. And I was worried the blinking would be too fast for me to keep up so I recorded it with my iPhone.

The timing on the tbi motors is very touchy if its off even by a few degrees it will run like crap, if the mechanic replaced the distributor and didnt time it right that could be your problem

He swore repeatedly that the timing was right and he says he checked it repeatedly. He says he made a visual check of the timing chain too. I'll have to check it for myself.

The fuel pressure gauge wasn't available today so I'll have to wait till tomorrow, I'll replace the fuel filter again, just in case.

95chev

Fear the Deere
Reaction score
You probly already know this but if you do time it make sure to unplug that sensor underneath the glovebox or the timing will still be wrong its a tan wire with a black stripe

LSUfan71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You probly already know this but if you do time it make sure to unplug that sensor underneath the glovebox or the timing will still be wrong its a tan wire with a black stripe

Yessir. Doing a new fuel filter today. Fuel pressure gauge still wasn't available but I've been working so much. I hate to buy something I'll use only once.