93 4l60e with crazy reverse symptoms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PJ Martin

Reaction score
I have a 93 Silverado. 5.7 4l60e 2wd rcsb. My truck goes fine in forward gears. Shifts great. Works fine when I shift it manually or put it in drive. My problem is when I put it in reverse. When it is cold, it does not seem to do anything. Kinda acts like it is slipping. Once the trans is warm, it will go in reverse most all the time. The fluid looks fine and it is full.

There is a ticking noise that is coming from the transmission some where. I haven't pin pointed it yet. Sounds like a card on bicycle spokes. The ticking is louder when the trans is cold, and nearly goes away when warm, but I still slightly hear it. It makes me think that it has something to do with the no reverse.

Any ideas? I just bought the truck a month ago and really love it, I just want to get the reverse fixed.

Thanks
PJ

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it a tinny type of sound? If so your flex plate is probably cracked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PJ Martin

Reaction score
It's a ticking sound. Kinda sounds like a lifter ticking but I know that it is not a lifter.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Bad lip seal can cause the slow/no reverse also. Not sure about the noise. Would suggest checking the flexplate first. Broken sunshell will cause no 2nd, 4th, or reverse, also broken rear planetary gears will have the same effect. (been there and done that)

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would agree... Most likely the low/rev seals are hard. When pressure is leaking around the hard seals they will make a noise. You may try and service the transmission and add a bottle of Lucas. I have seen that help sometimes. The seals will get softer the warmer it gets.