92 Truck+Camper Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We want a 2000ish fiberglass side Caribou 11L with the side door and no slides. We plan to put on a ton of miles in all weather conditions and we simply don't want to have the potential for slide issues.

Hey Skylark, theres a ton of campers out there, it really depends on your needs and purpose. For us, we wanted something not too massive due to the truck size and places where we wanted to take it, backroads, woods, mountains. We have a small human now so space is getting tighter but it just means we got to get creative on the inside. Ours weights #2150 includes propane (2x20lbs) and 132L of water.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey Skylark, theres a ton of campers out there, it really depends on your needs and purpose. For us, we wanted something not too massive due to the truck size and places where we wanted to take it, backroads, woods, mountains. We have a small human now so space is getting tighter but it just means we got to get creative on the inside. Ours weights #2150 includes propane (2x20lbs) and 132L of water.
We have a small human too. We have a crew cab dually so we're good to go for a heavy camper. We intend to be mainly boondocking. I'm seriously considering cutting a spare dually bed down to build a semi flat bed for more storage above the area in front and behind the wheels. I'm probably going to build storage areas between the inner and outer bed sides as well.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I will say my beast has some trouble getting down right spaces. I like to go where there are no hookups and haven't yet failed to find a spot, but I have had to pass up some roads I wasn't comfortable going down. That may be cuz I'm a wimp, really not sure, but the mass of it is not confidence inspiring.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will say my beast has some trouble getting down right spaces. I like to go where there are no hookups and haven't yet failed to find a spot, but I have had to pass up some roads I wasn't comfortable going down. That may be cuz I'm a wimp, really not sure, but the mass of it is not confidence inspiring.
How tall is your truck with the camper on? Our truck is a 4wd and on 33" tires.

92GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We have a small human too. We have a crew cab dually so we're good to go for a heavy camper. We intend to be mainly boondocking. I'm seriously considering cutting a spare dually bed down to build a semi flat bed for more storage above the area in front and behind the wheels. I'm probably going to build storage areas between the inner and outer bed sides as well.

You'll be laughing with the dually. I am quite a bit overweight once we load up with passengers and cargo, a bit of a dilemma which ill expand on later. The flat bed, fabricated storage units down each side is a great idea.

92GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

No doubt. I'd be the same with a rig that big. Better to have a safe and enjoyable camping trip than to run into trouble, especially when your backroads out of cell service!