92 TBI... Reverse polarity @ Ignition Control Module?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shibbershabber

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
working on my 92 Suburban, 5.7/TBI

went to replace the ICM, and once in the truck wouldnt start even though it did before.

Not sure if I mixed things up or not... but I feel like I might have connected the pickup coil wires backwards.
the factory manual doesnt show anything in the diagrams about which wire goes where, one is black and the other black with blue stripe I believe

So I disconnected it and switched them, still didnt start. BUT is that because I reversed the polarity the first time and fried the ICM?

Thoughs?

thanks!

shibbershabber

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the old one was stuck to the dizzy and when I pulled it off the metal plate separated from the plastic body, so it is a waste.

New one is only a day old, I think Ill take it back and get another one. Wouldnt be the first time Ive walked out the door with a bad part.

shibbershabber

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
F M L

Its always something. I dont effing get it.

I went and had the ICM tested. It passed.

I replaced it with a new one anyway and still nothing. W T F

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F M L

Its always something. I dont effing get it.

I went and had the ICM tested. It passed.

I replaced it with a new one anyway and still nothing. W T F

Gonna sound dumb but is the coil wire hooked up? Only reason I ask is I forgot to do it once.....

shibbershabber

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah it is.

It ran before, it just wasnt allowing full voltage to the injectors...

now, two new ones and nothing. I feel like maybe I leaned on something when working back there, but I cant see what it may have been.

as far as polarity goes... nowhere in any of my factory manuals does it label which is P and which is N coming from the pickup coil. From reading online it seems that switching them would only cause the timing to be way out, which would be fixed by switching the wires back the other way.

How can I tell what the timing is at if it wont start and it is mechanically timed correctly? can I put the timing light on while cranking?

shibbershabber

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well did more troublesooting via factory manual...

All indicators lead to the coil, and indeed, I have no spark.

The coil isnt that old. Can a failing ICM kill a coil?

Coil is under warranty, so I will throw a new one in there this week and see what happens

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well did more troublesooting via factory manual...

All indicators lead to the coil, and indeed, I have no spark.

The coil isnt that old. Can a failing ICM kill a coil?

Coil is under warranty, so I will throw a new one in there this week and see what happens

It could....... In theory..... Try and see, you won't be out nothin but time

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Before getting to far make sure that the rotor is infact turning and that the gear did not strip on the bottom of the dist. It can easily be over looked and will most defintly cause for no spark.

shibbershabber

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I know its turning because its pointed in different directions whenever I take the cap off... which I have done several times in the last day or so while messing with the ICM.

I threw in the new coil and now the starter solenoid is going out... it barely turns and then clicks a few times and then nothing.

I swear, Im chasing something from one end of the truck to another... so many things could be happening simultaneously that I may never get it drivable again!