92 4.3L into a 91 with a 4.3L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeffsam1017

Reaction score
Hey guys gotta quick question. Will a 92 4.3 from a s-10 hook right up in a 91 k1500 with a 4.3. Found a good deal on a 92 with low miles and my 91 has been thru the ringer and could use replacing. I figure it will drop right in but will the harness and cpu in the 91 work with the 92? Thanks in advance.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not too up on S10's but isn't the 4.3 used in those a different fuel injection setup? Your '91 K1500 uses a 4.3 TBI, almost certain that 1992 S10 is CPI. Very different. Wiring won't even hook up, and ECM is also going to be different.

Whether you can use the top end accessories off your old engine on the newer long block, I don't know. Not much into V6's, maybe someone else can comment.

Richard

LoneCynic

Reaction score
I was in the same boat as you a couple years back, needed a new engine to replace a worn out one. It does need to be a throttle body injection one to just drop in without running into major issues. I forget what vehicle my friend got the engine out of that we used, but it was also a TBI setup, and I was able to just swap over all the parts from the old one onto the newer one. Issue I had was old one had the smog pump and whatnot on it, and the replacement did not, so I have a few vestigial pieces here and there that connect to nothing because of that. Not a loss that I'm too upset about though.

Jeffsam1017

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I had my smog pump lock up years ago and I just took it off and put a belt on there for a 4.3 without a/c. Ha. I didn't even think about the s-10 being cpi. Thanks for the info.