91 c1500 speed sensor buffer cant locate!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dylan Packard

Reaction score
I can not find my speed sensor buffer. I was told it would be behind the glove box. It is not there. My problem is, all of a sudden my mph and rpms Guages stopped working. Truck drives fine. What should I do?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Because on 1988-1991 it's built into the gauge cluster (only 1992-1995 have an external one.) It's possible you lost gauges because of a bad ground, blown fuse, or a problem inside the cluster - which will require electronics repair experience to repair.

You could try swapping in another cluster but 1991 is a one-year-only cluster. A 1988-1990 can work if you move a few wires around in the cluster connector end of the harness. And finally, any 1988-1991 cluster you swap in will likely need the speedometer recalibrated unless you get lucky and score a cluster from a truck that had the same axle ratio and original tire size from factory as your truck.

I'd start with the fuses.

Richard