88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Finished up my speaker upgrade last night. Not sure why it took this long to accomplish, but the GM issue speakers were shot. They never sounded good to begin with... So out they came and were swapped for a set of Infinity component speakers.
You must be registered for see images attach

Front doors were easy... Now in the rear I went a different direction. The Crewcab trucks have the same door panels as a suburban, without speakers installed. They use the same rear pillar trim as a regular cab pickup, and have 4x6 speakers in the pillar. 4x6 speakers very rarely sound good, particularly compared to components. I started out investigating and low and behold, the rear doors are already wired for speakers, in the door itself. It ends at the center pillar plug. Still made my life WAY easier.

Did a little fitting and cut the holes for the rear door speakers

Best question is where am I putting a tweeter, and better yet how am I going to do it so it looks factory..... Remember those 4x6 rear speakers..... Since the space was no longer useful, and the stock speakers are crap anyway, I "took them apart" and used the frame as a mount for the tweeters, in the rear pillar.

I'm probably going to steal the subwoofer from the 88 and toss it in there, hopefully I will be able to get a headunit sometime in the near future.

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
Nice work on the speaker install! I gotta get off my duff and finally do that aswell.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Have you got the chance to test the new speakers? My nbs needed some in the doors and I bought a set of Rockford 6.5s. There's so many choices I found it hard to pick

Sent from my 5.3 powered iPhone

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Great work on those door speakers, inspiring me to do the same. Have a question though: Does the stock head unit put out enough power to run the better quality speakers with the much bigger magnets?
Doesn't seem to be an issue that I can tell.

------------------------------------

Been super busy at work lately and at home, trying to get some of the project stuff off my plate lately.

Last weekend I finally got around to a good wash for the truck, and pulled the trailer out to help a friend move.

While I had the trailer and campers out of the way the other weekend, I pulled this ol' girl out. It got a quick bath this weekend and I ran around in it some.

Sunday I performed my 0411 swap on the truck, wire by wire. I used a combination of Lextech's wiring chart and one I made myself, which was very useful in the end having both. I don't know how many differences there are in wiring between 1/2 VS 3/4 VS 1 Ton trucks, or between Small Block VS Big Block trucks, or Auto VS Manuals, but there were a few things I had to figure out and hopefully can pass on to others for future use. I wanted to get everything tidied up first, but I will get the wiring cleaned up later.

With the new 0411 came a Blackbear tune. Got that sorted out and JFC it was a night and day difference. The truck feels like it picked up 50HP. Acceleration is harder and smoother, truck revs quicker and the best part, on my initial test run, while doing a ton of screwing around and fast highway driving, got better mileage. This past weekend I ended up at 10.8 MPG which includes going over 2 mountain passes... I am willing to bet I would up that 2 MPG if I wasn't playing around while driving. Can't wait to test it out with the camper. Of course I snapped a couple picts of the truck from the outing.

Stay tuned, there are more mods in the works as well.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
The things I would do for this truck...and the step-side.

Looks incredible as always! Any teasers of what's next at least?
And 10.8...yowch.
A gentleman never kisses and tells.... :lol:

Thanks though, and yes, 10.8 MPG. If you think about it, that isn't bad for a 1-ton crew dually that is supercharged, with 4.10 gears and 33" tires doing 70-80 up 2 mountain passes and back......