88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What a weekend!

Installed my HVAC with rear defrost to control my heated mirrors.
You must be registered for see images attach

Forgive my newb question. What do you have to do to make the hvac trigger the mirrors ? Does the rear defrost have it's own plug on the back of the unit? Apologize if this is mentioned elsewhere and I missed it.

Truck looks great.

Last edited:

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score

Personally like that look, but hey, to each their own.

Are you sure GM never did it originally? Just curious. I've seen a few around with the strips (skipping the dually fender), and most of them, by the conditions the trucks were in, I doubt somebody added it. I don't know though.

Anyhow, not like it matters. Truck still looks fantastic.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Forgive my newb question. What do you have to do to make the hvac trigger the mirrors ? Does the rear defrost have it's own plug on the back of the unit? Apologize if this is mentioned elsewhere and I missed it.

Truck looks great.
The wiring is already there on 96+ trucks. It triggers a contact in the convenience center (near the parking brake).

Personally like that look, but hey, to each their own.

Are you sure GM never did it originally? Just curious. I've seen a few around with the strips (skipping the dually fender), and most of them, by the conditions the trucks were in, I doubt somebody added it. I don't know though.

Anyhow, not like it matters. Truck still looks fantastic.
I'd have to triple check, but i'm pretty sure they didn't. Next time in the GM EPC i'll look.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
So I would need to build a harness and install a switch on a 95 k1500, correct? Thanks for the help.

Pull the dash bezel off, pull out the HVAC and look for a plug on the back in the location where the RR defrost switch would be.

On mine (98), It was plugged in to the HVAC unit even though there was no switch.

I just plugged in the Suburban HVAC head, plugged in the connector, ran power from the D9 cavity in the convenience center to the mirrors and then back to a ground.

Done.

Only thing I may have to change in the future is if I install a heated rear glass. The mirrors run off a separate relay (triggered by the rr defrost circuit) when there is heated rear glass. Most likely to remove load from the HVAC switch.....

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Rear door lock rods didn't show up yesterday as planned - instead UPS delivered to USPS for final delivery....

Did a few things last night. Gave it a good seafoaming, definitely smoothed the idle out. Also went to work wiring up a trailer connector. I used a Pollak 7 and 4 way combination and wired in a GMT800 style harness plug. This way if the plug ever breaks, I can simply install a new one.

Also hooked the airbags back up. Truck came with a set of firestones but I think there was a compressor or something in there at some point, the lines were dis-connected. Ignore the u-joint splatter :lol:

While I was under there I found the hack splice job where there at one point was slide in camper wiring in the bed. The plug and wiring is history. Instead of cleaning it up now I'll order a plug to put in the hole in the side of the bed and i'll be ready for a camper.

Also removed the add on circuit breaker and battery disconnect. The truck has a factory 2nd battery isolator, so even if the other battery is dead you can start the truck... Why they added a second is beyond me.

And just a random shot. Also a shot next to my friends BRZ. His car's overall length is the wheelbase of my truck.

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
Wow I like that look! Definitely needs some clear headlights and turn signals. I assume you wired your mirrors the same as the 88 to where they are both turns and running lights? Any chance you can PM me that wiring diagram, don't wanna dig through the tow mirror thread on my iPhone.

Sent from my Vortec Powered iPhone using Tapatalk

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Wow I like that look! Definitely needs some clear headlights and turn signals. I assume you wired your mirrors the same as the 88 to where they are both turns and running lights? Any chance you can PM me that wiring diagram, don't wanna dig through the tow mirror thread on my iPhone.

Sent from my Vortec Powered iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll just link to that post in the thread. http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthr...irrors-on-GMT400&p=55684&viewfull=1#post55684

I didn't have to wire up the diodes again, I wired them in the mirror harness itself. I then replaced the mirror harness with a set from a suburban that had heated mirrors and re-pined the plugs in the door jamb. Since the parking light circuit was already in the doors (for the window switch backlighting) all I had to run was a power wire for heat and each signal wire to the column.