88-89 headlights vs later ones

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
had a 89 1500 for a parts truck
one thing i liked about it was the head lights
before i scrapped it, cut all the lights off, was thinking of swapping the head lights on mine at some point, i have a 95
am assuming its as simple as cutting the wires and splicing them in, and bolting on the double light brackets
are the newer style any better or anything?
it looks like they kept the same grill and all, why the switch

WPsharpshooter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure why they switched, but it has been said that the sealed lights when compared to the composite lights, are much brighter... Should just be able to splice into the existing wires..

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
on my 88 the composites with the 9006's and 9007's are much brighter then sealed beam crap.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
factory setup is 9006 and 9005

I heard others say the sealed were brighter but I don't see it at all, sleaed is old techonlogy and changing bulbs is new, wife's stock 2k monte carlo with the stock bulbs was brighter then my sealed beams and then I changed to composites and mines brighter then the sealed beams.

dagen_1

OBS 4 Me
Reaction score
my truck used to have the quad lights... i miss being able to adjust the high beams separately from the low beams.

but now that i have HIDs... i never use highs anymore.

edit: yeah, the brackets just bolt on..no mods there. the headlight plug-ins will have to be changed.

WPsharpshooter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
factory setup is 9006 and 9005

I heard others say the sealed were brighter but I don't see it at all, sleaed is old techonlogy and changing bulbs is new, wife's stock 2k monte carlo with the stock bulbs was brighter then my sealed beams and then I changed to composites and mines brighter then the sealed beams.

I was thinking you meant putting in some type of dif bulb like those blue-ish silverstars or something...

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ohh nooo. I do have them tho, but I was talking of stock bulbs. like reg. sylvania's not the silverstars and such.

My sealed beams were horrible and they were new, I could drive with highs on and hardly ever, maybe once or twice get flashed for it, most of the time NOBODY ever flashed their lights over mine being on high.

As for mounting yes very simple, i unbolted my quads, bolted on the ebay composites, cut the quad pgtails and wired in the new ones and that was it.

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
they ones on my truck, either their old, or the cover is foggy maybe, but i can hardly see at nite, one reason im thinking of switching, plus i like the 4 bulb look

1low95GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i say put in the 88-89 headlights. i love them on my 95. the sealed beam lights is alot brighter than my composites with silverstar ultra bulbs, you hardly see an truck with the sealed beam lights now days. be different like me swap them out. they bolt right in, and the wire colors are the same
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OBSOkie