700R4 tailshaft housing and seals replacement help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Sorry for multiple threads, but i think i have it figured out. Some of you may remember my other thread about a violent shaking coming from my trans. I think i figured it out. A few months ago, i replaced my front U-Joint, thinking it was causing the vibration and play up near the tailshaft housing. Wrong. The yoke that connects to the transmission has a little bit of play in it, and over time has caused a leak at the tailshaft. I can tell because there is a perfect ring of trans fluid prayed onto the bottom of the cab circling the end of the housing. I have reason to believe that there is a bushing inside or seal or something that is causing the leak and the vibration, since there IS play in the yoke.

Can someone tell my how to replace any seals/bushings, and which ones? I know there is four bolts holding the housing on, and i have to take the driveshaft off, but that's no problem. Just need some guidance.

Kamd90Chevy

Suthrn1
Reaction score
ok i may be a little help, but for clarification is the driveshaft YOKE moving around, or is the TAILSHAFT IN the trans moving? two different problems. And the cost to fix will differ greatly.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Just replace the yoke ans seal if the output shaft isnt worn down.

I still need to tear it apart and take a look, but just to clarify, are you talking about the teflon bushing or the O-ring seal? I have bad vibration at about 45mph, would just replacing the yoke and seal fix that?

Pampo'sTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I may have a 700R4 and did a google search and this thread popped up. I know it's old but I also have a leak and was hoping to find info on what I need to do to fix it or what to look for.