700r4 and 4l60e compatability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flandersander

Reaction score
So ive been looking at a wicked deal on a 1995 1500 rcsb 2wd. I hate 2wd trucks. I have a 1992 ecsb 4x4, but the motor is pooched and it has major wiring harness damage/bad wiring from previous owner. Basically what i'm asking is how difficult will it be to swap 700r4 4x4 parts to the 4l60e? I understand it's a different tail shaft and rear housing. Can these simply be swapped from the 4x4 700r4 to make the 4l60e 4x4? Also, I'm assuming front end parts are all compatable, am i correct with this assumption? THANKS!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Other than the tailshaft difference, I believe the trannies use the same housing. The problem that you're probably gonna run into is the 'e' in 4L60e. That stands for 'electronic', so that's gonna involve the computer. I've never done this swap, but there has to be a member here with some experience in this area that may be able to help. More so than me anyhow.

flandersander

Reaction score
Thanks! Let me clarify. The donor truck has the 700r4 and it's 4x4. The 4l60e is in the new truck. It's gonna stay there. My goal is to use the tail shaft and rear housing from the 700r4 and install them, along with the transfer case, onto the 4l60e. Basically turn a 2wd 4l60e into a 4x4 using 700r4 parts. Maybe i'm misinterpreting your post. Is the computer integrated with the tail shaft and housing somehow? I was thinking it wouldn't matter to the computer whether the back of the tranny was spinning a drive shaft or a tcase. Yes, no?

flandersander

Reaction score
Would it matter though? The tcase will be from the 1992. As long as the truck has a speedo now, I wouldn't change it. Just put a transfer case on the back. Or is there something i'm forgetting?

Wildbill0088

haulin' the east coast
Reaction score
Would it matter though? The tcase will be from the 1992. As long as the truck has a speedo now, I wouldn't change it. Just put a transfer case on the back. Or is there something i'm forgetting?

The vehicle speed sensor for the 4X4s is located in the transfer case so it will read accurate in both 4Hi and 4Lo whereas the 2WD it's mounted on the transmission itself

91Bluestreak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Without the computer knowing the vehicle speed, the trans willnot shift correctly. Now if the 92 does have a vehicle speed sensor, you should be able to transfer over the tailshaft from the 700 to the 4l60e to make it accept the t-case mounting. But in order to swap parts you will have to disassemble the trans.