7.4 Rough Idle, No Codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bret

Reaction score
I've been chasing this problem for a while with little results, the truck is also throwing absolutely no codes. The Suburban started out with a variable rough-ish idle where it would idle up and down about 100 rpms. It idles generally in the sweet spot of about 650 rpms.

So far I've replaced:
IAC, Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter, Fuel Pressure Regulator, Lower and Upper intake manifold, and all Lifters and Pushrods, new distributor, new plugs and wires, and all 8 injectors. I've also removed the EGR to ensure its not stuck, and the piston still moves freely and doesn't seem to get stuck.

After finishing with the injectors and IAC, I started it and it idled absolutely perfectly for about a minute or two, and then it went rough and started stalling. After stalling, it would take a couple seconds of cranking and some gas pedal action to restart the truck. I remembered that some IAC need to be calibrated, so I took the truck for a drive and it stopped the stalling issue, but it still has a rough idle and in some cases while giving it heavier throttle, it will feel like it has an occasional miss.

When looking at everything through torquePro, the engine does show a "Current Misfire" value of around 2-6 for I think cylinder 6, I'm not sure if that is a high enough amount to warrant any concern.

The truck doesn't feel like its running rough while moving, aside from that occasional miss. Any help is appreciated.

TKerr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is tough one. First I would look into #6 misfire. Check the injector harness and plugs. Second I would check with a scanner to see if my knock sensor is reading a voltage, if so it is either picking up a knock or thinks it is and you will be chasing ghost if there is no issue. I would also check cam/crank correlation and verify dizzy is at zero with KOEO.