6.5L Turbo diesel swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Now I am confused on what you are swapping. If you are swapping a 94 6.5 motor into a 1993 6.5 truck, STOP. and i'll tell you why.

When i did my swap i swapped a 93 mechanical injection into my 1994, which had electronic injection. For me, the only reason i did this swap was because i had a 93 6.5 motor that i got for free. With my swap, i took away the electronic injection, not added it. All i had to worry about is controlling the transmission, because i was doing away with the electric injection, and the 93 mechanical injection runs by itself, all that is needed is 12V to the IP (Injection Pump) The 1993 trucks had a different wiring set up in the 4L80E transmission, they used a different internal wiring harness, which was changed in 1994. The pre 94 harness had a lot of issues, particularly with the OD module shorting out preventing the trans from shifting into overdrive.

Now if you are trying to add electrical injection, you are going to need the ENTIRE wiring harness for that truck. Hell even the glow plugs are ran by the computer, so you will have to do a complete overhaul on wiring, in my opinion turning the truck into a giant cluster*uck... Also, you will somehow have to find a way to have the electrical injection pump send information to your pre-94 4L80E, which is going to be a mess. In my opinion, stay away from this swap. It's a hell of a lot easier to take away the electric injection rather than adding it.

As far as for the 6.5, i do like the motor, they are a respectable diesel when taken care of, and will get good MPG. However there were some definite design flaws which require more maintenance than most diesel motors. I love my mechanical converted 94 6.5 truck, especially with the 94+ trans with a 93 mechanical injected motor. IMO, the work you would have to do to get this conversion to run, and run properly would take a lot of work, and a lot of headache as far as wiring in the motor. I'm sure someone's tried to wire a electrical injection 6.5 into a hot rod, but i wouldn't ever add a electrical 6.5 into anything.. Given the work required, I'd rather go with a Cummins or something else, that will provide superior performance and less headache especially when it comes to wiring... now if financials are not there, swap it to a 6.2 or something else that will cost less, stay away from the electric injection swap, it's going to get very complex, and there will not be a whole lot of help for you out there.

Overall, I've grown up with my dad's 6.5 (1993) and bought my own 6.5 (1994) a couple years ago, I've converted it to mechanical injection and have done a lot of research on this motor, and know all of it's strengths and weaknesses. Overall, I like the engine but it requires more maintenance than my gas trucks, and with it's rough starting in the wintertime, and major design flaws, I've decided I'll be swapping a 350 into mine soon.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry Chris, I meant you and Jorge6.5.

Even BJ with everything that he did/said he would have gone a different direction and been far ahead to have never wasted time and money with the 6.5.

The motor was never an issue even with many abused hard worked miles. I had issues with everything else, the tranny blew, rear end blew and replaced all that. Had issues with the push button 4 wheel drive and no one could figure it out. Replaced with lever t case and tranny wouldn't shift right, no one could figure that out. Truck needed new front end steering parts, tires and had some other electrical issues. The truck was also automatic which I don't care for. That basically sums up why I got rid of it. I wish I kept the motor from it, I could have put it in my current truck in place of the gasser. Might still find a 6.2 or 6.5 to put in my current truck

To the OP, good luck with the swap!

MinnesotaChevy

Gasser or Diesel?
Reaction score
Now I am confused on what you are swapping. If you are swapping a 94 6.5 motor into a 1993 6.5 truck, STOP. and i'll tell you why.

When i did my swap i swapped a 93 mechanical injection into my 1994, which had electronic injection. For me, the only reason i did this swap was because i had a 93 6.5 motor that i got for free. With my swap, i took away the electronic injection, not added it. All i had to worry about is controlling the transmission, because i was doing away with the electric injection, and the 93 mechanical injection runs by itself, all that is needed is 12V to the IP (Injection Pump) The 1993 trucks had a different wiring set up in the 4L80E transmission, they used a different internal wiring harness, which was changed in 1994. The pre 94 harness had a lot of issues, particularly with the OD module shorting out preventing the trans from shifting into overdrive.

Now if you are trying to add electrical injection, you are going to need the ENTIRE wiring harness for that truck. Hell even the glow plugs are ran by the computer, so you will have to do a complete overhaul on wiring, in my opinion turning the truck into a giant cluster*uck... Also, you will somehow have to find a way to have the electrical injection pump send information to your pre-94 4L80E, which is going to be a mess. In my opinion, stay away from this swap. It's a hell of a lot easier to take away the electric injection rather than adding it.

As far as for the 6.5, i do like the motor, they are a respectable diesel when taken care of, and will get good MPG. However there were some definite design flaws which require more maintenance than most diesel motors. I love my mechanical converted 94 6.5 truck, especially with the 94+ trans with a 93 mechanical injected motor. IMO, the work you would have to do to get this conversion to run, and run properly would take a lot of work, and a lot of headache as far as wiring in the motor. I'm sure someone's tried to wire a electrical injection 6.5 into a hot rod, but i wouldn't ever add a electrical 6.5 into anything.. Given the work required, I'd rather go with a Cummins or something else, that will provide superior performance and less headache especially when it comes to wiring... now if financials are not there, swap it to a 6.2 or something else that will cost less, stay away from the electric injection swap, it's going to get very complex, and there will not be a whole lot of help for you out there.

Overall, I've grown up with my dad's 6.5 (1993) and bought my own 6.5 (1994) a couple years ago, I've converted it to mechanical injection and have done a lot of research on this motor, and know all of it's strengths and weaknesses. Overall, I like the engine but it requires more maintenance than my gas trucks, and with it's rough starting in the wintertime, and major design flaws, I've decided I'll be swapping a 350 into mine soon.

Ill clear this up I am going to be putting the 1994 6.5 into the 1993 6.5 place so we would have to switch out the pumps on both engines with the other, correct. other than that what else would we have to switch we have a good donor truck (the 3/4 ton) so anything we have to put into the 93 from the 94 we can except the tranny (thats shot).

He told be the tranny in the 1993 crew cab is freshly rebuilt with less than 500 miles on it

MinnesotaChevy

Gasser or Diesel?
Reaction score
im sorry to confuse everybody im new to the forums and dont know much about the 6.5's to both of us it seemed like a swap of a couple parts and drop it in.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Ill clear this up I am going to be putting the 1994 6.5 into the 1993 6.5 place so we would have to switch out the pumps on both engines with the other, correct. other than that what else would we have to switch we have a good donor truck (the 3/4 ton) so anything we have to put into the 93 from the 94 we can except the tranny (thats shot).

He told be the tranny in the 1993 crew cab is freshly rebuilt with less than 500 miles on it

Okay so you're trying to put a 94 6.5 motor in a 93 6.5 diesel? Then basically everything i just wrote will apply...

Internal trans wiring harness is different for the 93 so even if you swap the entire harness over the plug for the transmission is going to use a different plug in on the drivers side so even if you did swap the entire wiring harness out it still wouldn't matter because you couldn't plug it in to the 93 4L80E. They are just completely different set ups from 93 to 94.

A lot of things changed from 93 to 94... and i'm all for going in on swaps but i just don't think this one is something I would attempt...

The motors look the exact same, they would bolt into the truck fine, but it's everything that makes it run right that you are going to have problems with, and if that transmission won't shift, there is no point in putting in all that work.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
The only thing i would do is what Skylark said and just take the long block from the 93 and put the 94 IP on it but still you gotta time up that electric pump...

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
If your ready to put in that much work you mise well swap to a cummins imo

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
And if funding doesn't permit for a cummins swap... try and find a mechanical 6.5 or a old 6.2 (which you can get for dirt cheap) Or even convert to a SBC... this is just gonna be a tough swap (even though you have a free engine and donor truck) The transmission for the 93 just isn't compatible with a 94+ wiring harness.

MinnesotaChevy

Gasser or Diesel?
Reaction score
they are not my trucks I have a mechanical 6.5 and a mechanical tranny. Once I finish the swap I will post pictures of my new 3/4 ton 6.5L Turbo diesel.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
they are not my trucks I have a mechanical 6.5 and a mechanical tranny. Once I finish the swap I will post pictures of my new 3/4 ton 6.5L Turbo diesel.

Boldly go where the rest of us cringe! Good luck with your project. Post up your progress.