6.5 turbo diesel dead. Now what?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think cummins swap around 5-7k. My military 6.5 installed was 4k (me doing work)

Disposable income no but good income yes.

I don't want a big block. Because the empty mileage is eh and loaded is ouch. 5.3 empty would be good bang for buck.

Cummins loads of torque and good mileage.

My trans is already stand alone. The truck came with a nv4500 and I converted it to auto. Heavy pulling up grade and the 2-3 shift sucked. And the clutch master or slave kept failing. After I bought everything come to find out that's caused by a bad clutch pedal. Dote!

I appreciate all the inputs as I have not bought anything yet. Hell I was thinking small displacement turbo diesel but that's 10 to 17k for what I want. No thanks.

6.0L in a crew cab dually much less a 5.3 would be gutless even unloaded.

You can still find 4BTs in box vans running and driving too.

93crewcab

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If/when my 6.5L gives it up (only has 113k miles, so it may be a while) I will go with a Duramax. Preferably an LB7 or earier to avoid DEF and some emissions garbage. The engines themselves are pricey if you can find one in good shape, low miles, ECM and complete harness and transmission included (transfer case too in my case). Add additional cost to have the ECM/TCM reprogrammed and harness converted for standalone operation. There is a way to fit the GMT800 gauge cluster into the GMT400 dash as well so you get fully functional instrumentation.
Lb7 are the worse ones to buy

Sparkysikes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pre LB7 uh oh oh I know LB6.5

Those 4BT can be good mileage getters. But if I want more than 200/400 I have to pay to play. A p pump 6bt fuel plate mod is easy 300 plus. But oh that extra size and weight hummm

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pre LB7 uh oh oh I know LB6.5

Those 4BT can be good mileage getters. But if I want more than 200/400 I have to pay to play. A p pump 6bt fuel plate mod is easy 300 plus. But oh that extra size and weight hummm

I'm kinda liking the 6.5 for now. It's a different beast than a Cummins or Powerstroke, but that needs to be accepted before owning one. Their flaws can be corrected and can get some decent power and utility out of them. Deleting the vacuum system and installing a spring Watergate actuator is a prime example. A simple change that eliminates a ticking timebomb of a problem, even enhances performance a bit.

Sparkysikes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have been looking into rebuilding the 6.5.

Turbovanman used moose's modified db-2 to do 327 RWHP.

There is also a db-4 pump. Here are some specs of flow rate I found yesterday.

Stock db-2 70cc
Mod db2 90 to 110cc
Stock db4 150cc
Mod db4 up to 360cc.

Anything above 100 to 120cc needs larger lines. The variance in that gap is due to temperature, elevation, quality of fuel etc.

Also a built motor is needed. Lower compression 18:1 or up to 19:1. Head studs and MLS.

I wonder if a lower compression motor could get better cruising fuel mileage?