502 swap in my 1996 C3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Why won't his intake swap over? Heads need specific gaskets to swap between Mk4 and Gen VI, but I've never heard of any intake problems outside of tall deck stuff.

Disclaimer: I've never built a BBC, so I have no direct experience, but I've owned my truck since 99, so I've picked up things here and there along the way...I've heard of people running the Vortec 454 intake on older big blocks, but maybe there are details that I'm unaware of?

It may be possible with the big block engine, I could be wrong about that. I was going by the standard "You can't put an older intake on a newer (Vortec) head design for small blocks and vice versa" ideology (without a little machining help of course). It's been years since I've owned a big block however.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My vote is for a low mileage 8.1. Upgrade the cam a little in it and put some headers on it. If you find one out of an 01-02 Express/Savanna van or same year GMT400 3500HD they use a top mount compressor and it falls into place rather easily.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
L31 doesn't have a bad idea there. A cammed 8.1 with good exhaust and a good tune should do well. I think this would probably be the most cost effective way to get close to 500 ci. You could turn your 454 into a 489 or 496 but stroker kits aren't cheap. It really depends how much you wanna spend. If you think you want to upgrade heads using the gen 6 block will offer a larger aftermarket at better prices.. but if you just want more power for your truck you probably aren't looking to go that far.

A stock ish rebuild with a better cam, exhaust, and tune would also do pretty well when you compare it to a stock setup.

John Cunningham

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1996 c3500 with the Vortex 454. how hard is it to get a gm crate 502 to work, will the vortex intake and fuel injection swap over , will it just need a tune put in it. Thanks. any info or links will help
You must be registered for see images attach

I have lots of experience with these engines..these 454 have a dedicated vortec port...not an peanut port or rectangular..a very common mid size oval..you can see this in the intake gasket sets..
Im doing the same thing..I am nout using headers..they are a Pita..the easiest and cheapest thing to do is pull your exact engine and a stroker kit
.all the way to 496..the kits are around 1500 dollars..you can freshen up the engine that way....use a very small cam..even less than you have now...send your ecm to Black Bear and retune and you will have 600 ft pounds of torque where you tow..this is what im doing..do some pocket porting on your exact heads..your good to go..you will not have to screw with anything this way..you will lose low rpm torque with a ls engine which is not something you want to do..all this for no more than 5k!...

John Cunningham

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
6.0 vortec.cant touch a 502 big block.aluminun heads and carb or fuel injection.

You would have to have some real exotic LS engine to even get close to a big block in torque...The more toque you have at lower rpm means the less rpm you need and could even change rear gears and tow. Low rpm BBC engines are tough and will last forever.......not noisey and dont drip oil....easy to work on and wont cost an arm and a leg to repair like a diesel..yea they use more gas.........but its easier to find..........and yes I did own a duramax for a long time but I am happy with this vortec for what I do and am not worried about it.

Sparkysikes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cummins swap cough cough!

2 notes. A 6.0 with twins is a good combo for street and tow. Small twins. Quick boost.

A saw a guy with a H2 and a 8.1 and a roots blower and he towed a huge boat with it. Very impressive but going up the big grade out here it was 3mpg but at 75 mph!

So maybe forced induction on a stockish 454?

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cummins swap cough cough!

2 notes. A 6.0 with twins is a good combo for street and tow. Small twins. Quick boost.

A saw a guy with a H2 and a 8.1 and a roots blower and he towed a huge boat with it. Very impressive but going up the big grade out here it was 3mpg but at 75 mph!

So maybe forced induction on a stockish 454?

Cam upgrade, maybe some forged pistons, and a smallish turbo would probably work well. Just need to be good at making **** kinda custom, and have a good tuner or learn to tune yourself. Also need a 0411 swap for custom operating system.

BowtieJC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Doing the 496 stroker kit sounds like the best way to go. that way all parts will go back on. thanks for all the suggestions. John Cunningham, where do i get the best 496 kit