5 speed manual to Automatic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thohill

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I were closer and didnt love my truck so much, I would trade in a heartbeat. I really wanted a 5 speed, but a truck with 30k on the motor and 35k on a jasper trans showed up, no way I could pass that up.

You will have that thing sold or traded immediately.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't use a 4L60E. No point, a 700R4 would be much easier. No need to run a new ECM, re-wire or anything. The hardest part about this swap is if he wants to keep it column shift. Other than that it is easy, I've done it on a few vehicles. If he is willing to use a floor shifter, all he has to do is bolt it over the hole that already exists from the 5 speed shifter. The floor shifter will have the PNROD321 on it, no need to swap the cluster to get that. His drive shaft should be fine, same with his transfer case. He'll need a new T-case adapter.

Even though the swap isn't all that hard, I'd still trade it for an automatic. Post up a simple 5 Speed Z71 for Auto Z71 ad on Craigslist and get ready for the calls/emails.

yeah, you won't have as many issues with a 700r4, but you may still have to convert the speedometer signal with something....also, you'd probably lose some resell value going that route unless it was done EXTREMELY well...

I don't think you'll have any problems selling/trading it.

rdlyn13000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I put it on Craigslist for sale/trade but haven't heard anything yet. Hopefully someone wants to trade! I tried putting it in the classifieds here but it wouldn't let me??

Last edited:

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you need 50 posts for the classifieds here, you're at 55, so it should work, did it give you an error or anything? try it again and if it's still giving you problems, then let me know.

rdlyn13000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It doesn't give me the option to post a thread, just says only members with full access can start threads in the classifieds...

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmm...I thought it was 50 posts, but it could be something like 75, let me see if I can find anything out

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, it still has you as a non-full access member, and only an admin can do a manual change. you just barely passed 50 posts, so the system might just need to update you or something, give it a day or so and see if it lets you at that point. if not, send me a PM and I'll get a admin to change you manually.