5 speed manual to Automatic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rdlyn13000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys ive got a 95 Sierra 305 5 speed 4x4. I really wanted an automatic and may have to replace the flywheel so i'll have the tranny out. Has anyone swapped to an automatic and if so what do I all need? Is it worth the effort or should I sell the truck and buy an automatic? Thanks for any help fellas :worship:

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
You'll need either a new steering column or have to use a floor mounted shifter. You could probably trade your truck for the same thing in automatic, most people would prefer to have a manual. You might even get a nicer truck from someone who wants a manual.

rdlyn13000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmmm didnt realize manuals were so popular? I would definitely be down to trade if someone was interested. But if I cant find a trade id still like to swap, any info on the subject would be great!!

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've done auto to manual swaps. but a manual to auto swap would be a bit harder, if you're looking to make it like it is a factory auto, since in '95 you'd be looking at an electronic transmission, so you have controller/PCM issues (and if you don't use an electronic transmission, you may have to look at signal converters, and modules to retain the speedometer, etc), steering column issues, you may have driveshaft modifications to make, flexplate/flywheel switches, possible cluster changes (if you want it to look and feel factory)...

IME manual transmissions are MUCH more prefered and harder to find than autos, I hate auto transmissions, especially the ones that came in our trucks from the factory. I agree with temped, you'd be much better off trading or selling your truck, and finding another one that you prefer with the auto already in, and auto trucks are much easier to find than manual ones, so I don't think it would be too hard.

rdlyn13000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well then I might as well throw this up for sale/trade. I really want to start modding this thing but dont want to do it then not be happy because of a manual transmission. If anybody is interested throw me a PM! Ill start an ad up in the for sale section. Thanks for the info guys...

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a manual will actually provide more power to the ground since they have less parasitic loss....but if you really want an auto for whatever reason, then yeah, getting a replacement would be the best way to go.

rdlyn13000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My other vehicle is a manual trans that I drive everyday so I really wanted an auto in the truck since it is my weekend cruiser. I settled for the manual since I liked the truck but now im wishing I would have waited for the auto...

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
since in '95 you'd be looking at an electronic transmission, so you have controller/PCM issues (and if you don't use an electronic transmission, you may have to look at signal converters, and modules to retain the speedometer, etc), steering column issues, you may have driveshaft modifications to make, flexplate/flywheel switches, possible cluster changes (if you want it to look and feel factory)...

I wouldn't use a 4L60E. No point, a 700R4 would be much easier. No need to run a new ECM, re-wire or anything. The hardest part about this swap is if he wants to keep it column shift. Other than that it is easy, I've done it on a few vehicles. If he is willing to use a floor shifter, all he has to do is bolt it over the hole that already exists from the 5 speed shifter. The floor shifter will have the PNROD321 on it, no need to swap the cluster to get that. His drive shaft should be fine, same with his transfer case. He'll need a new T-case adapter.

Even though the swap isn't all that hard, I'd still trade it for an automatic. Post up a simple 5 Speed Z71 for Auto Z71 ad on Craigslist and get ready for the calls/emails.

rdlyn13000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys I appreciate it!! This is a great forum I've been spending a lot of time here lately and don't plan on going anywhere. I'm all Chevy and plan on buying another or hopefully just trading!!