5 spd manual problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hello,

buddy has a 91 z71 with a manual 5 speed

the input shaft has play in it its loose so when it shuts off it shudders to a stop and it has a rough drive when shifting so we took it out.

im not even sure what this transmissions called..

we took it out and i split the case, but it would only come apart about an inch

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
That would be an NV3500. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND TAKING IT APART. It requires special tools and is considered one of the most difficult manual transmissions to rebuild. I would take it to a trans shop.
Edit. A 91 would have a 5LM60, which is an earlier, and even more difficult trans to rebuild. They have poorly designed bearings. You should swap to a 93+ NV3500.

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah i read another post everyone said to swap to the nv3500
makes sense to me but he wouldnt do such a thing..
this was after i posted this thread
its at a trans shop now, ill let you know whats going on with it for the next guy with this problem..

once again thanks gents

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
took it to a transmission shop in downtown edwardsville IL, going to do the guy a favor and not say the name but even though my buddy was happy i think they ***** him..

nothing was wrong with the trans and it was six bills to tear it down and put it right back together, they opened it up and looked around, then put it back together, and set a new clutch fork next to it and replaced the forks pivot ball

i think it should have been no more than sixty percent of what they charged him

its a shame cause the guys been there forever, and i cant imagine how many other people hes bent over

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
if the input shaft had so much play ...did any body check the pilot bearing before they did anything....

Bad91Bowtie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hate to be that guy, but if you couldn't fix it yourself and it takes special tools / knowledge to do the job, how can you bad mouth his price?
You guys had the option of fixing it or taking it somewhere else.