5 lug to 6 lug swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Has anyone done this swap ? The front would be simple enough, just swap out the whole rotors, but will the axle shafts swap from a k 1500 to a c 1500 ? I don't want adapters for the swap. My diff. has been rebuilt about 3 years ago, so an axle swap is what I would rather do. I know a G-80 may not be the same, but what about an open diff. 6 lug. Is the only difference in the 5 lug and 6 lug axles just the bolt patters and 1 extra bolt ? The 15 inch stock rims I have now, are getting a little hard to find tires for, and by going to a 6 lug, it would be easy to find newer OE rims to swap with. So why not buy new aftermarket rims and tires rite. Well first, cost , second, I don't see much that I like.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Axle shafts will not swap. The 4x4 axles are longer. Get a 9.5" 6 lug 14 bolt from a C2500 light duty is the "easiest" solution, but also IMO the best as the axle is stronger than that 8.5" 10 bolt.

It *might* and that's a big * be possible to shorten the 4x4 axles, depends on if they're tapered before the spline or not. If not, they can be cut, and re-splined. Dunno how much that costs. You could also look into buying custom axles, but again, $$$

Richard

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What about the axles on a GMT 800 2WD , there are 6 lug, would they swap?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Moser will fill and redrill your axle shafts for under $100. Then just use the 4wd drum.
That's one way to do it. Opposite the direction I went on the '94 C2500LD, filled and re-drilled the axles on the 14 bolt. And, just drilled the drum for the new pattern.

Didn't know Moser would do that; that's pretty damn cheap if you ask me. You'll spend a bit shipping them due to size and weight but still gonna be worth it IMO.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What about the axles on a GMT 800 2WD , there are 6 lug, would they swap?
Could be wrong but I think they're longer, too. GMT800's and newer run a wider track width, with factory wheels that have tons of backspacing like a 4x4 wheel.

It's an interesting idea though and possibly worth looking into, but I bet you'll find those rear ends are wider.

Richard

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did it on my 91. up front I use all k1500 parts but had to change out to 92 and newer spindles. The rear I used Moser axes and front disk off of a k1500. I all ready had done a rear disk conversion

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be wrong but I think they're longer, too. GMT800's and newer run a wider track width, with factory wheels that have tons of backspacing like a 4x4 wheel.

It's an interesting idea though and possibly worth looking into, but I bet you'll find those rear ends are wider.

Richard

BTW the billet wheels on my truck came off a 2005 Chevy I got them really cheap and that's why I ended up doing the 6 lug swap.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I did it on my 91. up front I use all k1500 parts but had to change out to 92 and newer spindles. The rear I used Moser axes and front disk off of a k1500. I all ready had done a rear disk conversion

What did it cost for the Moser axles ? And nice truck