5.7L Towing Upgrades (yes, another thread)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply.. as I see it’s been a few months...

I have built my 98 Sierra for towing... I pull over 7k plus.. trailer weighs 5k, 600lbs water, quad over 500lbs, extra 25gallins gas, 2 Rottweilers, wife, gear ect...

383 Stroker, 750cfm Carb (tried efi.. left me stranded & towed home too many times) 1 5/8” long tubes, 4.56gears, 295/75/17s.. 2200rpm stall.

70mph @ 3k rpm in 3rd locked up.. I have to unlock on some grades.. (I have a switch to lock up when ever I want)

did the 4.56 gears impress me? Ya they r ok, but expected more to be honest..
You must be registered for see images attach

Did you do anything with the brakes and springs? There's plenty more you can do to a 1500 to make it even better. That stock 3+1 leaf pack is WEAK. Even the 4+1 was a noticeable improvement. . . in towing. Empty it sucked more.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That stock 3+1 leaf pack is WEAK. Even the 4+1 was a noticeable improvement. . . in towing. Empty it sucked more.
Yeah, I just ordered 3/1 spring packs to replace my 4/1s for my C1500 and if it sags too much when towing, I'm gonna get air shocks or bags.

Wheeler

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never touched the leafs or had the need too my heavy half as u can see in the pics is holding up very well!!!

Brakes are new, but no upgrades. Between the truck & trailer brakes she stops very well..

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Never touched the leafs or had the need too my heavy half as u can see in the pics is holding up very well!!!

Brakes are new, but no upgrades. Between the truck & trailer brakes she stops very well..

Ahh, heavy half makes a big difference. That's why it's not getting its ass kicked in that pic.

Wheeler

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Made the decision yesterday... electric fan (3500cfm) getting installed. Free up some power.. not sure if that was talked about in this thread or not..

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Made the decision yesterday... electric fan (3500cfm) getting installed. Free up some power.. not sure if that was talked about in this thread or not..

Won't do anything for your 98 with a plastic fan. At least not for power. AC will blow colder at a standstill though and it won't get hot in stop and go either.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have an AC delete... lol

LOL. I did a MarkVIII efan on my 1500 and like it for the reasons posted. I tow my 8500#+ car hauler with it and it keeps its cool. Since you're in Canada, eh!, you probably won't have any issues. I'm hesitant to do an efan on my dually because they can't pull much air at speed. I've been caught in some nasty winds in it before which knocked it back to 55mph WOT in 2nd gear for a long ass time and when that happens, the fan stays engaged but the truck never goes past 210. Now with the blower I'd likely ride 3rd gear in that scenario.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I understand the efans setup is more better suited for normal driving, while mechanical fans are tried and trued for towing heavy loads.

I think on at some point all half tons went to efans, yet the 3/4 and 1 tons kept mechanical fan. Not sure if that's still the case.

As far as reliability, any transversely mounted engine since the 80s has had e fans, so I think they are fairly reliable. I do agree they are better running the AC at idle.

...not sure if OP made his trip or not and his truck is completely different than a 1500.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I understand the efans setup is more better suited for normal driving, while mechanical fans are tried and trued for towing heavy loads.

I think on at some point all half tons went to efans, yet the 3/4 and 1 tons kept mechanical fan. Not sure if that's still the case.

As far as reliability, any transversely mounted engine since the 80s has had e fans, so I think they are fairly reliable. I do agree they are better running the AC at idle.

...not sure if OP made his trip or not and his truck is completely different than a 1500.
My a/c worked better with a mechanical fan than electrics.