5.7 vortec timing set

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is everyone running? Are you replacing the entire set gears and chain or only chain? Also I noticed they offer a few different tooth widths as well, which one is for a set of stock gears if only doing a chain?

86k10

Reaction score
I bought a Cloyes from Summit, double chain, cam gear too wide/offset to fit. Would hit the block.

I bought a single chain Cloyes from Oriellys. Worked good.

Sorry, I didn't get the Vortec part, mine was for a TBI.

Last edited:

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you guys only do the replacement chain on stock gears or a full timing set? You have a part number? I'm still trying to determine what width is correct for the stock gears. They show a .275/.285 and a .400/.410 width on rockauto and oriellys.

You must be registered for see images attach

Jake_Caulley

Reaction score
I did a set. Cloyes original race true roller timing set part # 9-3157. Got it from Summit Racing.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did a set. Cloyes original race true roller timing set part # 9-3157. Got it from Summit Racing.

That's a nice set but I'd like to not spend $100 on it since it's just a stock motor daily driver.

Anyone else want to chime in with what they used?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's a nice set but I'd like to not spend $100 on it since it's just a stock motor daily driver.

Anyone else want to chime in with what they used?

The GMPP single roller from the ZZ4 is the same chain that is in the 1-ton 350 Vortecs. Last one I purchased from a GM dealer at wholesale and was about $50. It also comes with two cam retaining plates and all the bolts for the cam sprocket and retainer.

Edit-Looks like it might have gone up quite a few bucks or dealer wholesale is just that much cheaper. 3 years ago the 395' cam was only $140 wholesale too.

GM number is 12371043 for that kit.

The single roller chain is the .275" one. The link style garbage one is .410. The sprockets are different between chain types. One is a true rolling style chain and the other is a stretch prone and wear prone link style.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also found it as a Cloyes. C3092 for less than $50 on Rockauto. Cloyes 91157 is even cheaper and it is 3-way adjustable. Usually straight up, and plus or minus 4°.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cloyes 91157 is even cheaper and it is 3-way adjustable. Usually straight up, and plus or minus 4°.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/clo-9-1157

I bought--but have not installed--the 9-1157 set from Summit. What I received was a non-adjustable crank gear, along with the chain and cam gear..

Perhaps a factory mistake, perhaps someone stole the three-way-adjustable gear out of my set and replaced it with a standard gear.