5.7 vortec timing set

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So if I believe the stock gears to be in good condition (no major wear or stress fractures), does anyone have a part number for a chain only that works with the stock gears? That 9-1157 is in my price range if I need a full set, just curious incase I only need a chain.

I'm starting to run low on funds and time for this to get back together and I know I gotta buy a new front cover, PS pump and dizzy too.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone else running this timing set, it's listed as a standard replacement on rockauto, price is good too for a full timing set. I don't need anything adjustable for this motor. Melling usually makes good products.
You must be registered for see images attach

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also stumbled upon this when looking up a new timing cover, not bad for both together. Anyone have experience with parts from this Guardian Engine place?
You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't need anything adjustable for this motor.
How would you know until you put a degree wheel and dial indicator on it?

Anyone have experience with parts from this Guardian Engine place?
Wild Guess: It's a Dorman front cover. Dorman is huge in having crap made in China, then doing the importing and advertising.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How would you know until you put a degree wheel and dial indicator on it?

Well it's a completely stock shortblock with no cam change and the timing set will be removed with TDC dot alignment. So a direct replacement kit installed the same way will be nothing more than a tight new chain in place of a 130k mile stock unit basically. No changes to degree of the cam should be required for it to be as it was from the factory.

Now if I was doing a cam swap as well then I'd want to triple check everything and use a degree wheel and adjustable set.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wild Guess: It's a Dorman front cover. Dorman is huge in having crap made in China, then doing the importing and advertising.

Could be right on the cover but when I looked at a site selling their "engine kits" they were pretty decent kits using melling, cloyes, seal power, ect. So they could just be a third party parts "kit" supplier who buys in bulk and pieces their own kits together too.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Think I may have found a chain only that'll work. It's a Cloyes 9-4149, says it's a replacement chain for a L31 with 46 links, overall length 11 1/2", single roller, .275/.285 tooth width. And it's only $18 which is great, lol.