5.7 vortec long crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Crank is now about 4-5 sec. What do you mean by CTS reading? And are you referring to the one in the drivers side cylinder head, or the one on top of the intake manifold?

Last edited:

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I connected a scanner after the truck had been sitting for a couple hours (when it has hard start problems):

KOEO: 167 F
While cranking: N/A
After starting: 167 F
After a short drive: 199 F

Tomorrow after it’s been sitting overnight (when it’s not a long crank) I can get readings to compare it to.

Last edited:

1990Z71Swede

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The fact that there is no CTS reading while cranking might be a/the problem. It might also be totally normal, depending on how the scan tool/OBD Port is powered. Does all other inputs also disappear from the scantool while cranking? The MAF, TPS and RPM and possibly a couple others should have a value. If just the CTS and maybe one or two of the others disappear, there might be a grounding issue. If RPM disapear it is most likely just the scantool that does not receive data when cranking. If there really were no RPM signal to the ECM the car would never start.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The fact that there is no CTS reading while cranking might be a/the problem. It might also be totally normal, depending on how the scan tool/OBD Port is powered. Does all other inputs also disappear from the scantool while cranking? The MAF, TPS and RPM and possibly a couple others should have a value. If just the CTS and maybe one or two of the others disappear, there might be a grounding issue. If RPM disapear it is most likely just the scantool that does not receive data when cranking. If there really were no RPM signal to the ECM the car would never start.
Ok I’ll test that out too.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don’t think the coolant temp sensor reading N/A during crank is a problem, since the RPM does that too.

1990Z71Swede

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does it still start right up when sitting for just 10-15 minutes? If it does I would say it is still to rich upon startup. I'm reluctant to say you still have a leak somewhere, but start with retesting fuel pressure now that you have been driving it around for a while to see if things have changed for the worse. (Not sure if you can test that on a vortec without taking the manifold apart again) You could also try starting it with zero fuel pressure or disabled injectors to see if it starts, just breefly obviously. If it does, fuel is leaking into the cylinders somehow still

I have a similar issue on my suburban, (possible leaking injector) and I feel giving it a little trottle when cranking helps. But that's a gen IV engine so it's different in many ways.
Maybe try that anyways to see how it reacts?

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It does still start right up after ~10 min. I will try the disabled injector test. Would I just unplug the injector connector and fuel pump relay, and relieve the fuel pressure?