4x4 switch malfunction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calamus

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I've got a 1997 1500 Z71 that I purchased only recently. I'm trying to fix her up, and I've got an issue with the 4x4 switch on the dash.

It seems as though it's not getting power. There are no lights on any of the selector buttons. If I push, and maintain pressure on the upper left of the switch module it will receive power. When it has power I can select 4 hi, 4 lo, 2 hi, all with no problems, but it takes both hands.

I'm considering purchasing a new selector module from rock auto as I'm buying a bunch of other parts from them right now too, but if this is just a loose wire, or something that I don't have to spend $50+ on I'd rather not. I also cant tear the dash apart at the moment cause shes on jack stands having suspension work done and I dont want to be the guy who knocks it off the stands.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is it often the module, or just a loose connection, or what?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It’s been a while, but mine did that. I opened up the switch and there were a few solder joints that were cracked. Heated them back up to close the cracks and it’s been fine since then.