4L80e fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I need to change the trannie fluid on my truck. I was going to drop the pan/fluid leave it overnight and change filter and put new fluid the next day. I know that doesn't get all of it out, but figure I can at least dilute the old fluid out with new one. "The solution to pollution is dilution." LOL

Seems like that's about 7 qts. +/- doing it this way? I have other vehicles with the same unit, so I need to order a good amount of the stuff for so I can change the other ones later... Has anyone bought like a 5 gallon container of Dex 6?

I see O'Reilley has one: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...smission-fluid-dexron-vi-5-gallon/oro0/dexvi5

Amazon has a brand I have no idea about:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Normally I'm not a oil brand-specific kind of guy, but I'm favoring the O'reilley stuff on this one.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Unless you're time is limited, I wouldn't bother waiting until the next day to finish it up. The extra teaspoon that might drip out is nothing compared to what's in the torque convertor.

I also wouldn't bother with Dex6. Out transmissions were designed before that. I've got almost 300K miles using Dex3. I bought gallon jugs of Supertech.

I wonder if you still have the re-usable gasket? That was a nice discovery when I did mine. I should probably do mine again. I've only changed the filter once, the other times, I've just drained the ATF.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh, I just checked Wal Mart and they don't show the Supertech fluid...last month I went looking for a gallon at the store and they only had 1 quart of Dex 6! I would agree about the Dex 3, but some the trucks are a bit newer and do actually fall under the Dex 6 spec, so I'm just trying to avoid buying 2 types.

Actually, Walmart shows Fram ATF (but sold by AAP) on their website and it's like a multi vehicle fluid? Not sure what's deal there.

I'm not sure how they came up with the drain plug idea on those pans; my slightly newer trucks don't have it, but the GMT400 does? I do have a late design 4L80e pan with a drain plug I'm going to put in on this one.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Oh, I just checked Wal Mart and they don't show the Supertech fluid...last month I went looking for a gallon at the store and they only had 1 quart of Dex 6! I would agree about the Dex 3, but some the trucks are a bit newer and do actually fall under the Dex 6 spec, so I'm just trying to avoid buying 2 types.

Actually, Walmart shows Fram ATF (but sold by AAP) on their website and it's like a multi vehicle fluid? Not sure what's deal there.

That's weird that Walmart doesn't have the gallons. I wonder if mine still does.

The price difference alone would negate any inconvenience of buying two types, for me.

I'm not sure how they came up with the drain plug idea on those pans; my slightly newer trucks don't have it, but the GMT400 does? I do have a late design 4L80e pan with a drain plug I'm going to put in on this one.

You don't have the drain plug? I assumed all the 4L80Es had them. My Saturn has a drain plug too, although that also uses a spin-on filter.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's weird that Walmart doesn't have the gallons. I wonder if mine still does.

The price difference alone would negate any inconvenience of buying two types, for me.

You don't have the drain plug? I assumed all the 4L80Es had them. My Saturn has a drain plug too, although that also uses a spin-on filter.
My 06 Suburban 2500 does not have a drain plug. My GMT 400 K3500 does have a drain plug. I don't recall on the 04 project 2500 suburban if it has it...

On my 99 Silverado I've had 2 4L80es swapped into it(94 and 06, both came from trucks) and neither have a drain plug, but the original 4L60e did have it.

A drain plug and spin-on oil filter would be a nice set up. The GMT800 Allison are like that. Just like doing an engine oil change. I think I recall a member here was going to install a in-line spin-on oil filter to his transmission. That would be a cool mod, especially if you are doing a lot of miles on your truck.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Order a filter and it will likely come with a cork gasket. Toss the cork gasket and buy a reusable gasket. Drop the pan, change the filter, and refill. If the fluid that comes out is bad, do it again every oil change until the oil looks good.

Transmission fluid? I'm a fan of whatever Dexron III/IV is on sale. House brand? Fine by me. These transmissions are twenty years old. I did pop for Valvoline Dexron III/IV for my fresh 700R4 build.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to change the trannie fluid on my truck. I was going to drop the pan/fluid leave it overnight and change filter and put new fluid the next day. I know that doesn't get all of it out, but figure I can at least dilute the old fluid out with new one. "The solution to pollution is dilution." LOL

Seems like that's about 7 qts. +/- doing it this way?
Roughly speaking, you'll drain half the fluid.

It's not that much more work to change practically all the fluid.

Reconsider your procedure.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Something like this?:

I've seen some variations that use a little pump and they collect a certain amount of dirty fluid before pumping new fluid into it through the dipstick tube. Seems a little intimidating. Maybe it's not as bad as it seems.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drop a cooler tube, aim the open end into a drain pan. Start the engine. When the fluid starts to sputter, shut off the engine.

Drop the now nearly-empty pan, clean the pan and magnet, replace the filter, reinstall and seal the pan with a good gasket--which might be the reusable one already on the vehicle. Torque pan bolts as needed.

Dump five quarts of fresh fluid down the dipstick tube, open about ten more quarts and place them within easy reach so you can dump them quickly down the dipstick tube.

Start engine, watch the fluid coming out of the cooler tube and dump the opened quarts of fluid into the trans as fast as it will flow out of the funnel down the tube. When the fluid shooting out the cooler tube looks virgin-new, shut off the engine. Reconnect the cooler tube. Start engine, adjust fluid level as needed. ("Full" when HOT, a little less than that initially.)

Pack up the old fluid for recycling. Most of the time, I pour it from the drain pan into the empty bottles so it doesn't slosh out of the drain pan and mess up the bed of the truck, or the carpet in the trunk of the car. In my case, it becomes fire-starter in the winter; but before I had a fireplace it went to various recycling centers; or to shops that had a waste-oil furnace.

Done. Feel proud about flushing 95% or more of the fluid from your transmission. Open and enjoy a celebratory beverage.

When dropping the cooler tube, pay attention to normal fluid flow--so that you aim the correct tube into the drain pan. In some cases, I've gone so far as to make a short, temporary tube to plug into the outlet port of the cooler, to aim into the drain pan. That way I flush the cooler, too.

Last edited:

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Seems like that's about 7 qts. +/- doing it this way? I have other vehicles with the same unit, so I need to order a good amount of the stuff for so I can change the other ones later... Has anyone bought like a 5 gallon container of Dex 6?

I see O'Reilley has one: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...smission-fluid-dexron-vi-5-gallon/oro0/dexvi5

Amazon has a brand I have no idea about:

Normally I'm not a oil brand-specific kind of guy, but I'm favoring the O'reilley stuff on this one.
The Walmart's in Colorado all sell Valvoline synthetic in gallons that is DEX 6. It's only 2-3 dollars a gallon more expensive than the SuperTech.
My trans rebuilder says DEX 3 is all the 4L60's and 80's need.
I pulled the pan and filter on my 4L60E one time, put the pan back on and left it overnight. In the morning there was damn near a quart of fluid in the pan--and it was STILL dripping fluid......geeez.

Buy a pan with a drain plug, drop the fluid and change the filter. Next motor oil change just drain the pan. Do that every 2nd or 3rd motor oil change and the fluid will always be fresh.

I've wrote this before, clean fluids/lubes are "hungry" --hungry to absorb heat, hydrocarbons, to suspend particles, etc.
I use the Valvoline and SuperTech interchangebly.
On my 06 TD with the Allison I use the Valvoline.