4L80 hits 2nd hard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roy c

Reaction score
I Just had my 4l80 rebuilt in my 93 4x4 burb and when tranny shifts into 2nd
gear it hits hard some times shacking the dash board. no shift kit nothing that is not
factory the motor broke at 200,000 miles 2 weeks ago I'd figure I'd rebuild the tranny also,
when I got the truck back same issue. bought it back they can't figure it out. every thing in the tranny was
replaced does anyone have any idea's thanks Roy

ChuckyB

Reaction score
You probably have it fixed by now, but on the 93 and 94's the computers had an issue with sending a WOT siginal and the line pressure is maxed in the trany. For me the 1-2 shift was firm but livable, well I guess youre not supposed to have a shift that is harsh enough to make a 'burb "bump". It ended up striping the lugs off the inside of the case for reverse. I think they should have a small sticky just for the 93-4's on this. Not a trany problem, all ECM. Mine was on a 4L60 but the WOT sig would screw up any auto I'm guessing.

PS: It cost me 2 transmissions to find out also. =(

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
You probably have it fixed by now, but on the 93 and 94's the computers had an issue with sending a WOT siginal and the line pressure is maxed in the trany. For me the 1-2 shift was firm but livable, well I guess youre not supposed to have a shift that is harsh enough to make a 'burb "bump". It ended up striping the lugs off the inside of the case for reverse. I think they should have a small sticky just for the 93-4's on this. Not a trany problem, all ECM. Mine was on a 4L60 but the WOT sig would screw up any auto I'm guessing.

PS: It cost me 2 transmissions to find out also. =(

yeah my 94 doesn't know what to do under wot. I just got code 82 (1-2 shift solenoid bad) replaced 1-2, 2-3, 3-2 and the pressure sensor and it now shifts like new. So maybe just drop the pan and swap out solenoids for acdelco and borg warner like I did.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All good advise. I would also check the speed sensors. If the input or output is bad, or criss-crossed it will give you a good bump on shift.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 4L60E does that exact bang shift into 2nd gear, hasn't changed at all in the 20,000 miles I've put on it since I bought it... No codes or anything.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
My 4L60E does that exact bang shift into 2nd gear, hasn't changed at all in the 20,000 miles I've put on it since I bought it... No codes or anything.

well you can fix that with the Kit I bought on ebay or Rhino sells them on his website I noticed. Its those solenoids and the pressure sensor plate that are causing the hard shifting I would be willing to bet. I spent close to $200 total and Its like I got a news trans.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well you can fix that with the Kit I bought on ebay or Rhino sells them on his website I noticed. Its those solenoids and the pressure sensor plate that are causing the hard shifting I would be willing to bet. I spent close to $200 total and Its like I got a news trans.

More info or link on this?

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I was going to change out the whole harness but since my truck is my dd and I couldn't afford anymore down time I didn't mess with the harness or the pressure sender solenoid because it involved removing a servo I believe to get room for it to slide out. So I changed out everything else.