4l60e Torque Converter locking up when accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grayson94

Reaction score
Hi, I'm hoping some of you can help me out. My 94 k1500 with a 4l60e has been annoying me because it seems to lockup the torque converter at the wrong times. I'll be driving down the road at 55 mph turning ~1700 rpms (overdrive?), and it feels good, I still have pickup speed if need be and i'm hardly hitting the pedal, but then I will either want to accelerate a bit or go up a hill. If I hit the pedal down any more than I currently was it drops down to ~1350 rpms and I can barely accelerate(lockup?), right when I needed to. I can hit the gas about 3/4th to the floor and it will jump to 2100 rpms, which will get me rolling, but seems really unnecessary.

I had the transmission rebuilt about a year and a half ago by an acquaintance of a longtime family friend who owns a nice sized shop. Then my dad and I put the transmission in. I don't recall the truck behaving this way before the rebuild. When I bought the truck it had a torque converter shudder and eventually lost any gear above 2nd, which is why I needed a rebuild. The truck does have 33s with 3.73 gears.