4L60e running at 200-210F at operating temp.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its actually far from being big enough for your application. Will work on a lightly loaded van, but work it hard uphill with 5K behind it and you will smoke that 4L60E from burned fluid in no time.
I'm trying to find a good external cooler for my 4L60E that I run on my 6500 lb Tahoe gunning it from stop light to stop light in 97°f + with 3.42 : 1 gears. Right now it has the factory external cooler in addition to the factory radiator cooler all OEM parts.

Talking about GMT400s using Tapatalk
"Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - Supercharged111

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another thing that will really help slash the heat is enabling 2nd gear lockup in the tuning. Starting about 40 mph and 50% throttle and above set the converter to lockup. Also enable WOT lockup in 2nd at 40 mph. When you are driving normally it behaves normally, but give it throttle to get uphill and it locks and stays locked to help cut down the heat. Locked converter will add about 10 hp to the wheels as well.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm trying to find a good external cooler for my 4L60E that I run on my 6500 lb Tahoe gunning it from stop light to stop light in 97°f + with 3.42 :2 gears. Right now it has the factory external cooler in addition to the factory radiator cooler all OEM parts.

I just linked this in the thread right below this one but give this thread a look. Substitute the TruCool M7B for the B&M cooler mentioned in there though, they're the exact same parts made by Long Mfg. but the TruCool is much cheaper than the B&M. Works great in the factory location with the factory brackets after you trim them a little.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/how-to-factory-auxiliary-trans-cooler-upgrade.18104/

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm trying to find a good external cooler for my 4L60E that I run on my 6500 lb Tahoe gunning it from stop light to stop light in 97°f + with 3.42 : 1 gears. Right now it has the factory external cooler in addition to the factory radiator cooler all OEM parts.

M7B will fit with minimal modification.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just linked this in the thread right below this one but give this thread a look. Substitute the TruCool M7B for the B&M cooler mentioned in there though, they're the exact same parts made by Long Mfg. but the TruCool is much cheaper than the B&M. Works great in the factory location with the factory brackets after you trim them a little.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/how-to-factory-auxiliary-trans-cooler-upgrade.18104/
The trucool m7b does not seem to be available anywhere right now. [emoji53]

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The true cool m7b does not seem to be available anywhere right now.

You're right, that is interesting. The B&Ms are all out of stock as well.

There seem to be some major shortages in the auto parts industry right now. I just canceled an order from Summit Racing for some Raybestos Element3 brake calipers that had been on order for a month with no updates. Prices on certain things seem to be skyrocketing as well.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
like radiators! LMAO.
Me too. Heat transfer and thermodynamics are so interesting.

zetros

Reaction score
Mine took me 2 days but I wanted the backlight to dim with the radio lights so I had to pull the gauge cluster and radio and sort out the wiring which on my O2 took me a while to figure out.
Everything is in wire loom and every connection is soldered and sealed with shrink tubing.
That's what I wanted to do too. Luckily I had the foresight to buy some workshop manuals so finding the wire that allowed the gauge backlight to dim with the rest of the dash was cake for me.

zetros

Reaction score
Its actually far from being big enough for your application. Will work on a lightly loaded van, but work it hard uphill with 5K behind it and you will smoke that 4L60E from burned fluid in no time. Will probably overheat it just running the van up a mountain as well.

My Express van had a trucool 40K on it but I found it overkill with the radiator cooler in place. Backed down to a M7B after the radiator cooler. The M7B is 2x the thickness of the 679 with 2x the cooling fin surface area and a better design than the tube and fin.
Dangit. Guess I'll see when the time comes. There is always room for improvement I suppose.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake rogers