4l60e rebuild question-what about the gears?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pElf28p

Reaction score
I am looking into a rebuild but have noticed that the rebuild kits include nothing for the gears in the 4l60e. What do most do to address the gears? I'd hate to do a rebuild and have a gear failure 10k later due to reusuing a bad part. Thanks.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good question.... A rebuild kit is more of a starter kit for the rebuild. You really won't know what all you need until teardown. Some go with a 5 pinion planet on the rear planet, its the most common to fail. The forward planet doesn't have many problems.

pElf28p

Reaction score
Good question.... A rebuild kit is more of a starter kit for the rebuild. You really won't know what all you need until teardown. Some go with a 5 pinion planet on the rear planet, its the most common to fail. The forward planet doesn't have many problems.

Thanks for the response Rhino. So about how much does a rear planet gear go for? I would imagine it is quite expensive.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its not too bad, the GM planet is what you will want, its around $130.00. They have some cheaper china made ones, but we have had bad feedback from them. The 4 pinion, which is still good for stock rebuilds are around $50.00.

pElf28p

Reaction score
So Rhino, or anyone for that matter, where would I buy the gears if I needed them? I sifted through the monstertrans website (thought i could find them there) and I could not find them. I am looking for some websites I can use to price out the gears. Thanks.