Slipping trans after rebuild.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BradHanks15

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
not sure how that sounded, apologies, but it is new OEM. I was saying the old harness connects to that solenoid the same as my new one does.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Endplay was not checked on disassembly. Only the input sprag and pistons were changed.
Ok, if you do another one always check end play before tearing it down. You dont need to set up a dial indicator (you can if you want) but just attach vise grips, pull and push on to see what it feels like. This way you have a physical frame of reference for reassembly, esp if you find yourself in this situation.

So assuming the case wasnt super tight to begin with, i may suspect something is misassembled. For example, if you install the rear case-ring gear thrust bearing upsode down, it will reduce your total free space by .030 or so. Spec is .015-.035 so that change would put you at near interference if the case had .035 when bearing is in correctly.

If everything is installed right, you will either need a #67 washer or a Sonnax thrust washer shim kit and run only shims. Ive had to do that a few times...

BradHanks15

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, if you do another one always check end play before tearing it down. You dont need to set up a dial indicator (you can if you want) but just attach vise grips, pull and push on to see what it feels like. This way you have a physical frame of reference for reassembly, esp if you find yourself in this situation.

So assuming the case wasnt super tight to begin with, i may suspect something is misassembled. For example, if you install the rear case-ring gear thrust bearing upsode down, it will reduce your total free space by .030 or so. Spec is .015-.035 so that change would put you at near interference if the case had .035 when bearing is in correctly.

If everything is installed right, you will either need a #67 washer or a Sonnax thrust washer shim kit and run only shims. Ive had to do that a few times...
I’ll definitely check it out. Appreciate the help.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
make sure you are checking end play with the input shaft pointing to the sky. do not check it with the transmission laying on the bench. also make sure the output shaft isnt resting on the ground either

BradHanks15

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
@NickTransmissions figured it out, kind of feel like an idiot for this one, but I had the output shaft on my workbench and it was the only thing touching so it was forcing the output shaft up, causing my no end play. It looks like it has .030.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@NickTransmissions figured it out, kind of feel like an idiot for this one, but I had the output shaft on my workbench and it was the only thing touching so it was forcing the output shaft up, causing my no end play. It looks like it has .030.
So with the transmission upright in the fixture, the output shaft was making contact with your workbench?

Id shim it to .020 but you're technically in spec so your call..

Last edited: