4L60E Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
Long story short in march I bought a 99 GMC Sierra Classic and after only having it for 2 hours a guy runs a red light and t bones me. truck was totaled but still ran and drove fine ( frame was as far as 61 mm out in some spots and nearly every bit of frame got tweaked in one way or another). In late june I bought a 97 Silverado with 240,000 miles but the body was excellent and motor was in better shape than the other ( no signs of leaking any fluids or burning oil). It had a bad tranny so I decided to swap them and now I have some problems. To start hears what I know

1. Both trannys are 4L60Es
2. tranny out of the 99 worked perfectly even after the accident.
3. Other than seemingly subtle differences both trannys have the same sensors and everything important. differences are as follows
a. lower mount rods on 97 are flat with holes at the ends and bolt to tapped hole in the bell housing. 99 are threaded rods that go through the lower bolt holes
b. 97 has the removable lower half of the bell housing and the 99 has a completely removable bell housing
c. tranny pans seem to be stamped differently.

I really don't think any of that mattered but you never know. Anyway onto the issues I am having

1. Tranny seems like it takes a second to engage or doesn't want to disengage. Hard acc. after coasting you hear the rpm's pick up then a clunk and the truck goes or at highway speeds rpm's seem higher than what they should be while coasting
2. vibration at 45 mph. dash and seats wiggle during this
3. vibration while coasting. About a second after you let off the gas the truck kinda clicks and I get this wurring noise that seems to go down with speed and goes away as soon as you give it some gas.
4 hard to start at times. More noticeable if I have not started the truck after 24 hours but will sometimes give me a hard time.
5. will not do burn outs or fast take offs. from a dead stop the truck will shake and sputter under hard acc but if got on easily truck rolls on no problem or only a slight sputter.

truck has no problem holding speed or anything like that and like I said none of these problems existed with the tranny in the other truck. I have tried some lucas tranny fluid conditioner when I drained the old fluid out during the swap and the prom in the pcm. My mechanic told me that the programming can mess with year to year swaps like this so I tried it and it didn't work. Honestly I think 2 and 3 are more the drive shaft, I hit the yoke pretty good to get them to separate and think its bent. I had forgotten about that during installation and put it in anyway. 4 and 5 seem more like something with the motor but I through them in to shed more light on this and for all I know they are connected (from what I remember the 97 didn't do that even with the bad tranny). And as always thank you for any and all replies and I hope I can get this problem solved.