4l60e not engaging at all after rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tykuhn98

Reaction score
Around 3 months ago I lost reverse so I went out and bought a used transmission, swapped it in. Once it was in I was pretty upset to find that it would not engage anything at all. Basically like there was no transmission in it. So I assumed I bought a screwed up transmission. I went and got the original one I had in it rebuilt, put it in. And im having the same problem. I've gone over everything multiple times now and I'm failing to see what I may have missed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh Man! That sucks! Do you have a service manual? Like the ATSG or similar?

Have you looked at this table?:

You must be registered for see images attach

It looks like only the reverse input clutch and the lo/reverse clutch are applied.

Look at the troubleshooting for no gears. You are going to have to plug in a pressure test guage to see if you have any pressure. Page 9 of the ATSG manual talks about it.

Can you tell us what did you do for the rebuild? Did you buy a master rebuild kit? Replaced torque converter? Etc? Need more info...

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd probably get a higher level diagnostic scope see if anything shows, some pressure checks. Since it is all unknowns go to the service manual start at zero. Good luck.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Around 3 months ago I lost reverse so I went out and bought a used transmission, swapped it in. Once it was in I was pretty upset to find that it would not engage anything at all. Basically like there was no transmission in it. So I assumed I bought a screwed up transmission. I went and got the original one I had in it rebuilt, put it in. And im having the same problem. I've gone over everything multiple times now and I'm failing to see what I may have missed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
WHAT VEHICLE???

TWO transmissions, neither one has any gears?

Torque converter-to-flywheel bolts in place?
Low on fluid? HOW MANY quarts did you put in?
Forgot to install the driveshaft?
Transfer case in Neutral?
Fuse(s) popped?
Wire harness for trans solenoids defective/not connected?

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it 4wd? This sounds like a T-Case problem to me, what was it doing when reverse initially went out? Was it clanking and slipping? If the chain is slipping, it will usually slip more in reverse than in drive. If it breaks completely, you won't have drive.

No way it would be an electrical problem since you'd still have 3rd (while in D)/reverse even if there wasn't any sort electronics connected at all.

If its not a 4wd, then my only guess would be a bad torque converter if you reused it.

reservoir dog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've had had some bad transmissions and they would all do something , I was going to guess transfer case or T-case linkage but you guys beat me to it.