4l60e no 1st or 4th

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98 K1500 L31

Reaction score
I have a 98 k1500 with a 4l60e and 164,000 on it. It has always shifted great, never had any problems. I went to the store and left it running, when I got back my CEL was on. When I left no 1st or 4th gear. After doing some reading I decided to replace both shift solenoids and filter. Installed them today and still no 1st or 4th. No fuses are blown and can't find any shorted wires. I am thinking maybe the harness in the trans is bad.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Iv been through this.... check your codes and they should be like 6 tranny codes, Your stuck in 3rd, no speed or prndl lights. So your fuse is good and so is all the wiring. Theres a small chance that your tranny plug has come loose but I doubt it. Pull the heat shield off and check that the plug is in all the way. If it's fine then you could pull the plug and take an appropriate size drill bit to check pin E, pink wire. This is the only positive feed and it should read the exact same voltage as the battery, any variance ar all and all of the above wiring and fuse check out the you need a new ignition switch. You can manually shift from first or 2nd up to 3rd to get going.

Alternatively knowing that pulling the fuse puts the truck into 3rd gear may just get you home if the first 2 gears are screwed. I wish I knew that a few years back.

Take care

Al

98 K1500 L31

Reaction score
No, my meter decided to take a dump so I decided to just put them in. I will probably take it apart again and use a friend's fluke meter on Monday, might ohm the old solenoids also.

98 K1500 L31

Reaction score
Iv been through this.... check your codes and they should be like 6 tranny codes, Your stuck in 3rd, no speed or prndl lights. So your fuse is good and so is all the wiring. Theres a small chance that your tranny plug has come loose but I doubt it. Pull the heat shield off and check that the plug is in all the way. If it's fine then you could pull the plug and take an appropriate size drill bit to check pin E, pink wire. This is the only positive feed and it should read the exact same voltage as the battery, any variance ar all and all of the above wiring and fuse check out the you need a new ignition switch. You can manually shift from first or 2nd up to 3rd to get going.

Alternatively knowing that pulling the fuse puts the truck into 3rd gear may just get you home if the first 2 gears are screwed. I wish I knew that a few years back.

Take care

I only have one code and it is PO753

98 K1500 L31

Reaction score
I still have all dash functions, 2nd and 3rd gear. I didn't know that pulling the fuse puts it into third. Even when I manually shift it into first it still won't go. But I can connect my scanner to it and put it in first it reads that I am in first even though I'm in second.

Last edited:

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score

98 K1500 L31

Reaction score
I ended up pulling the pan again and testing the harness. I ohmed them to ground and got 3 out of 4 wires to read resistance so I am going to say my inner trans harness is bad. The old shift solenoids tested fine

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Neighbor says if you lose 1/4/R it could be the planetary as well, but there'd be chunks in the pan.