4l60e lost all gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 93 suburban 4wd. Well I got another transmission from the junk yard and it's the wrong one. It's a 2wd and I need a 4wd.Well I have to return it Monday. But I took a video of the transmission problem I'm having in hopes someone can help me fix it because the transmission I need cost 600. And hopefully I can fix it myself for cheaper.

The problem I'm having is the truck was sitting idling and I heard a bang then no gears. I can put it in any gear and it's nothing. I removed the transmission and here is the video. Anyone have any suggestions.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If something let loose and sent fragments through the trans you really need a rebuild or another unit. Throwing parts at it would likely trash the new parts. My experience when you lose everything all at once is a converter or pump problem.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah and it's werid because when I look at up online it says if the fluid doesn't go down when running its the pump to.

Reaction score
No time or experience for it lol it's going to be another 4l60e going back in. I have to call the shop I brought the 2wd transmission from and get a 4wd one or my money back.

wheelman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
welcome to a junky gm transmission..all defective from the day they were installed..chevy would not have a recall they will not stand behind their products.4l80 was a little better..then they moved on to something else.my 1996 chevy express van.is on the third transmission deal..and the vehicle only has 145,000 the third time.i had a gm trans guy at a chevy dealer pull it out and replace all the defective parts.with after market parts..upgraded sun shield at the time he was pulling transmissions.out of brand new cadillacs.cause those trans had a defect.brand new cadillacs.their best trans were the 350 and the 400 trans..maybe a built 700 r4 with no computer would be ok.sounds like you broke a shaft..when the sun shield goes.you just lose some gears.