4L60E build?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FUNINMUD

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I figure it's better suited here as in the street section not many might check that. Need off-roaders input. :)

So, trans has drank water a number of times now, once i had to drive about 100 miles with water and it was making some bad noise. Flushed it a couple times and it has held togeather but the trans shop said i'd be lucky for it to last 6 months. About 3 years later it's starting to really get lazy and stick not wanting to shift, slipping a tad once in a while.

So, i know it's a question with alot of options but what would you recomend for a truck which is mostly a toy. Not a daily driver.
On my Dmax i can name parts off the top of my head but for this one i'm unsure.

Thanks!!!

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
Swap in a 4L80e, they can be had for cheaper than a rebuild and will give you the peace of mind of 3/4 ton parts instead of a 4L60e that will eventually start doing the same.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i was going to do like butch said, but its not that easy. If you are able to do the work yourself, go with the 4l80. If you arent, have a shop build your stock 60. It can be built pretty strong and give you years of trouble free work. It will never be the 80, but it will take what most people will ever throw at it.

Dragit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Id just have your 4l60e built take it to someone that really knows how to build a tranny and they can put one together that will take a beating. Also a pretty aggresive shift kit will help the most with clutch wear. It will slam togeather and pull the clutchs apart fast now letting them slip like they do stock for a smooth shift. Plus barkin gears never gets old!

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^ hes got a point i dont think it could ever get old. but when ours goes which it will when we start driving it we will have to go with the 80 and put in a shift kit

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
4l80e swaps are kinda expensive and are only really needed if your putting alot of power down, i did a stock rebuild myself on my truck except did a shift kit and corvette servos and its as strong as i need it