4L60E Auto converted to 5 speed manual

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mwood8798

Reaction score
I have a 98 K1500 z71 and looking to convert to a 5 speed manual trans. Anybody know what types of Manual transmissions went into these trucks? I've looked them up and came up with an MG5 and M50. What transfercase would I need?

I also have the bucket seats with the center console, would the console be a hinderance?

Last edited:

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
I have a 98 K1500 z71 and looking to convert to a 5 speed manual trans. Anybody know what types of Manual transmissions went into these trucks? I've looked them up and came up with an MG5 and M50. What transfercase would I need?

I also have the bucket seats with the center console, would the console be a hinderance?
You might want to shy away from using darker font colors on this forum, the default background is dark grey and I don't think most people can see your text up there (at least I couldn't without selecting it).

You'll either see a NV3500 or an NV4500, the latter being a heavier, stronger, lower geared transmission. Both can use the NP241 transfercase behind them but they are 32 spline input so you'll have to swap that out or swap the entire case. Center console won't be an issue.

I swapped my automatic to a NV4500 in my 88 GMC. The mechanical side of it would be the same for your truck, but mine being older did not require much re-wiring or any re-tuning so I can't be of much help there (700R4 is mechanically operated automatic unlike your 4L60E which the computer controls).

Here is my thread from the install: http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?953-88GMCtruck-s-NV4500-Swap

mwood8798

Reaction score