4L60E 2-3 Shift Slip/Flare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gothicsera

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another issue with the 4L60E in my 1995 K2500 truck.

I picked it up a few days ago and it was running and driving fine, but now I have a problem with it slipping on the 2-3 shift pretty bad. Even at part throttle. If you back off the throttle it will grip and then be fine. All other gears are fine, even if the shifts are super soft.

The truck has done 128k miles and the transmission is totally stock and from what I can see looks like it's never been touched.

I plan on pulling the pan off in the next couple of weeks and having a quick look inside.

I've rebuilt a few of these transmissions before and it looks like I might need to do this one at some point soon?

Anyone have any thoughts?

On a side note - is the 2wd and 4wd transmission the same with the exception of the tail shaft?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are the same with the exception of the output shaft and tail housing. A K2500 will have a 4L80e, unless somebody has swapped it before. The 1500's are the only ones that used the 4L60e. If it is slipping that badly, then a rebuild is certainly in order. Given that all the shifts are soft, I would expect that line pressure is probably on the low side. Usually starts with soft or delayed shifts, but by the time the slippage is that noticeable, it's on the downhill.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
LIght duty, 6 lug, heavy half, whatever the internets wants to call them today, the 7200lb 2500's still got the 4L60E.

2wd and 4wd are the same the same year, but of course these thing's got many running changes.

Usually the cause of a 2-3 flare is clutch clearance, which baasically means a rebuild, although they can be crutched with accumulators and drilling the orifice that feeds the 2-3 feed hole.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I stand (or sit, as is the case) corrected. Couldn't imagine a 4L60e in anything calling itself a 3/4 ton truck, but GM loved to put that trans in everything. My apologies.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Well I stand (or sit, as is the case) corrected. Couldn't imagine a 4L60e in anything calling itself a 3/4 ton truck, but GM loved to put that trans in everything. My apologies.

I only know because I went to buy one thinking the same thing and ran away lol.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only know because I went to buy one thinking the same thing and ran away lol.

I don't blame you. I find it hilarious that you could get a nearly identical engine/trans combo in an S10 and a C2500. What the hell were they thinking?

gothicsera

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Order some rebuild and upgrade parts for the transmission.

I've rebuild quite a few 700r4, 4L80 etc now - my least favorite thing is getting it out from under the vehicle....

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Order some rebuild and upgrade parts for the transmission.

I've rebuild quite a few 700r4, 4L80 etc now - my least favorite thing is getting it out from under the vehicle....

I understand completely. Still have to pull mine to replace the pump. Not looking forward to it, but hopefully it will solve a couple of problems. Good luck with the rebuild!