454 vs 6.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdla140

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow... I almost choked on my chips! I believe DEX had a service life recommendation of 5yr 100k mile, whichever came first. You are lucky if you haven't experienced any issues so far.
I don't think OAT coolants have the problem of becoming acidic as they break down, but I do believe the older stuff will start to lean that way... I have never ran coolant that far though, so I have no experience to base that on.

I've only owned the truck for 8 months or so now, but I've talked to the original owner. The coolant hasn't gotten dirty at all, the truck never overheats, and the coolant level never goes down. It's gone this long, I'm not opening it now.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've only owned the truck for 8 months or so now, but I've talked to the original owner. The coolant hasn't gotten dirty at all, the truck never overheats, and the coolant level never goes down. It's gone this long, I'm not opening it now.
I'll take "things that make you cringe" for a thousand, Alex!

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

To each his own, but you can't think of fluids like that. They have a service life and need to be changed regardless of what we can see in an overflow tank, dipstick or looking down a hole... You wouldn't use that logic on your engine oil right? I guess one could argue that they could use an oil analysis program and go by that, but that's another case. It's hard to tell the condition of coolant just by peeking in the radiator cap. I have drained trucks that looked green under the cap, but when I drained them out, a ton of particles in the system came out with the coolant in the bottom of the radiator.

Doing a coolant flush isn't technically "opening anything up." If you didn't mind paying a little bit more money, a shop can hook you up to a flush machine and pump all the old stuff out while putting in new stuff at the same time... Coolant isn't one of those things like transmission fluid that might cause issues in the system by flushing/changing it after it has been neglected for too long. I don't think I have ever heard of an issue or failure from a proper coolant flush with a heater core back flush. But, coolant does have additives that WILL break down and I have seen (and performed for others) entire cooling system replacements because of neglect.

Anytime I buy a new truck, going through every single fluid and filter is a priority for me because I don't know the maintenance history on the vehicle. That way, I start my own log book of maintenance and mileage and can keep up with it from there.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

Then you have no idea what has and hasn't been done. The previous owner probably forgot it was changed. It could have even gotten a crate engine at some point. It's not an example of long life of anything.

Coolant doesn't get changed just when it's dirty, it gets changed at intervals because the additives get used up.

jdla140

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Then you have no idea what has and hasn't been done. The previous owner probably forgot it was changed. It could have even gotten a crate engine at some point. It's not an example of long life of anything.

Coolant doesn't get changed just when it's dirty, it gets changed at intervals because the additives get used up.

I do know what has and hasn't been done. The previous owner is the original owner. It's had 1 trans and one alternator, oil changes, 2 windshields and one back window, spark plugs, wires, air filters, cabin air filters, tires, and the AC system was resealed at one point. EVERYTHING, and I mean everything, else is original. Obviously, all highway miles.

The coolant didn't freeze at -40, I can pull with the truck in 105 degree heat with the AC on and it won't overheat, so I ain't changing the coolant. Preventative maintenance can only go so far when you have 311K miles. Chances are the water pump isn't long for this world and I'll just flush the cooling system when something fails. You guys can loose sleep over it if you want, but it sure doesn't bother me none.

Also, Dexcool only tends to break down when oxygen is allowed into the system ie from a leak, or when the cooling system can't build much pressure (ie leak) and goes through a ton of heat cycles. My truck obviously didn't go through very many heat cycles. The coolant still feels great, it isn't gritty at all and still feels plenty slippery.

I bet you'd be shocked at how many old vehicles out there STILL have the original dexcool that has never been changed out. Last summer I changed out the original dexcool on a 99 Sedan Deville. It was obviously time. There had been a cooling system leak and the coolant was filled with little chunks and had lost it's lubricity. My 97 K1500's coolant looked original, it was all clumpy and the radiator was starting to plug. Shortly after the intake manifold gaskets started leaking internally. I swapped that over to green coolant, put the steel backed gaskets in and never looked back. My grandma had a 2003 3.4 grand am that she bought new, never changed coolant on it. When she sold it last year, the coolant still looked brand new. Dexcool changed around 2001-2, it only caused issues in older vehicles.

TL;DR I don't care what you think about my coolant being original. I have seen enough to know when its time to change it, and it isn't time. I was simply just stating a fact about the reliability of LS engines, which are IMO way better than an old school big block.
Hopefully the thread derailment is over now.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do know what has and hasn't been done. The previous owner is the original owner. It's had 1 trans and one alternator, oil changes, 2 windshields and one back window, spark plugs, wires, air filters, cabin air filters, tires, and the AC system was resealed at one point. EVERYTHING, and I mean everything, else is original. Obviously, all highway miles.

The coolant didn't freeze at -40, I can pull with the truck in 105 degree heat with the AC on and it won't overheat, so I ain't changing the coolant. Preventative maintenance can only go so far when you have 311K miles. Chances are the water pump isn't long for this world and I'll just flush the cooling system when something fails. You guys can loose sleep over it if you want, but it sure doesn't bother me none.

Also, Dexcool only tends to break down when oxygen is allowed into the system ie from a leak, or when the cooling system can't build much pressure (ie leak) and goes through a ton of heat cycles. My truck obviously didn't go through very many heat cycles. The coolant still feels great, it isn't gritty at all and still feels plenty slippery.

I bet you'd be shocked at how many old vehicles out there STILL have the original dexcool that has never been changed out. Last summer I changed out the original dexcool on a 99 Sedan Deville. It was obviously time. There had been a cooling system leak and the coolant was filled with little chunks and had lost it's lubricity. My 97 K1500's coolant looked original, it was all clumpy and the radiator was starting to plug. Shortly after the intake manifold gaskets started leaking internally. I swapped that over to green coolant, put the steel backed gaskets in and never looked back. My grandma had a 2003 3.4 grand am that she bought new, never changed coolant on it. When she sold it last year, the coolant still looked brand new. Dexcool changed around 2001-2, it only caused issues in older vehicles.

TL;DR I don't care what you think about my coolant being original. I have seen enough to know when its time to change it, and it isn't time. I was simply just stating a fact about the reliability of LS engines, which are IMO way better than an old school big block.
LOL. To be fair, you mentioned on a forum full of car guys that you're knowingly and willingly risking running bad coolant, you can't be surprised when everyone gives you funny looks. That being said, it's your truck, do with it what you please. I do agree that LS engines are significantly better than their predecessors, there's a reason why they are the most common engine swap across ALL brands.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I hope you don't feel that I was harping... It's a forum for enthusiasts who share knowledge and thoughts... so I just shared. I don't know you from Adam, so I figured I would pass on some knowledge in case you were not aware of recommended intervals. It appears that you are well aware, so all is well!
:cheers:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

The thing I have a problem with is your criteria for determining the state of the coolant. You're full of **** plain and simple. Feel free to be as neglectful as you like, but don't try to lie your way out of said neglectfulness. At least own it so other newbs don't think that your method is acceptable.