454 TBI Sensors Function Location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A very smart buddy of mine insisted it was the IAC I replaced it and it made no difference.

I consulted another guy who was a gm mechanic when these trucks were on the dealer lots.

He said if I replaced the map sensor he was positive that would fix it since the IAC didn’t.

They both are extremely knowledgeable when it comes to computer controlled vehicles
No, they aren't. They're guessers and parts-changers. Connecting a scan tool, and ten minutes later you'd have seen that the RPM signal was goofy. You wouldn't have been tricked into thinking the IAC and MAP were the cause.

Eventually it will get a carb too.
Almost certainly a mistake. At least your trans isn't computer-controlled.

BigDaddy72

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well... one of them did connect a snap on brand scan tool and the computer did not communicate with the scan tool.

Thats why the second buddy told me he thought the computer was bad.

I wish I knew more about how and what it did when he hooked it up but then again that’s my lack of knowledge showing through again.

Thanks again I appreciate your input.

You sound like my first buddy. He says carburetors are controlled vacuum leaks.

I’m going to build a afr headed 496 similar to the one I built for my 94 k3500.

I understand what you are saying from a efficiency and longevity point of view.

These trucks aren’t daily drivers (just toys) for me and I’m more concerned with performance and simplicity than fuel economy and efficiency. But I do understand your point of view and don’t disagree.

Attachments

• C7B8A4FA-6BC3-42C1-B820-21BC2D64A2E0.jpeg
    C7B8A4FA-6BC3-42C1-B820-21BC2D64A2E0.jpeg
    232.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20061A67-4849-4068-827F-88901D8F9CC7.jpeg
    20061A67-4849-4068-827F-88901D8F9CC7.jpeg
    283.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You sound like my first buddy. He says carburetors are controlled vacuum leaks.
...and fuel injection is just a computer-controlled spray bottle.

If anyone tells you they know what the problem is without troubleshooting, they're just parts changers. I can recommend and say, "there's a good chance it's blah, blah, blah part", but it's very rare that I can nail it down to one part with confidence.

BigDaddy72

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve made a lot of power with carbs and built some dead reliable daily drivers with carbs.

But I won’t argue witch one is more efficient.

I try to respect everyone’s opinion and find valve in all point of view even if I don’t agree.

Thanks again to all for the comments.