400 sbc on a nv3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jacob kinney

Reaction score
I have a problem with my my engine to tranny set up.
I'm running a 78 400 in and 93 2500 with a nv3500. Now my problem is I buy a starter and put it and it will
Work great for like a weak then out of the blue I'll hop in go to start it and it will just spin or the bendix gear will get caught in the ring gear. I've tried ever different shim combo you can and have tried everystart you can think of that works with a 400 but I've had no luck

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Is the starter engaging the fly wheel all the way? Put some dykem or paint on the flywheel and check the pattern that the teeth on the starter make. If its not fully engaged or needs shimmed differently itll leave a weird pattern.

Jacob kinney

Reaction score
Is the starter engaging the fly wheel all the way? Put some dykem or paint on the flywheel and check the pattern that the teeth on the starter make. If its not fully engaged or needs shimmed differently itll leave a weird pattern.
What does the weird pattern look like?

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Im not sure, the only nv3500 ive ever had was behind a 4.8 and i never had any problems in that area. You could try a 400 flywheel but if the problem doesnt go away, thats alot of work for nothing. It seems like something is binding up or not engaging all the way causing the premature failure. I suppose if the thickness and diameter of the flywheel is the same it would work. Maybe the 400 one has more teeth?