4" Cowl Hood + Open Air Element?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Just kind of curious, a buddy of mine recently purchased a 92 C1500 like mine and he needs a factory air intake setup. Thinking about loaning/selling mine to him and using an open air element setup since I have a 4" Cowl Hood to bring in fresh air. Aside from the stop-n-go traffic (which is rare for me) would this suffice for the time being, or even actually work the same? Kind of curious how this would work at speed with the cowl feeding air into the engine bay. Curious if anyone else uses a like setup.

Wade

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 4" cowl hood, 1" tbi spacer, 3" air cleaner spacer, and 4" open element filter. With the spacers the filter is just sticking up high enough that the air from the cowl only has to travel a few inches straight to the air filter. Seems like it works well, I've never noticed any ill effects compared to the stock setup.

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
I have a 2" cowl hood, 1" TB Spacer, and 3" open element with the open top, I haven't had a problem, you can really hear it sucking a lot of air even with my pitiful 2 inch hood. Mine's a little ways from the opening but pretty sure it does the job. I'm always scared water gets in there but I'm pretty sure it hasn't.

This is my filter https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-43662