4.56 gearing questions....... what to get em out of ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

forty6and2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
first off sorry if this is in the wrong spot.
was just doing some reading on putting a lift kit in and reading about swapping gears out.. well this has me a bit miffed right now. so should i do the lift and the gear swap in the spring or do it all at once???
im going to be running nitto 35's

i really dont want to wreck anything tranny wise or other..

i decoded some of my rpos and i come up with

GT4 : AXLE REAR, 3.73 RATIO (DUP WITH 5 X 1)
G80 : AXLE POSITRACTION, LIMITED SLIP

(DUP WITH 5 X 1) !! what the **** does that mean? haha

so if a guy wants to put in the 4.56 gears what truck,van,suv would i find them in and what RPO code would i look for???

forty6and2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
And is it the same for the front diff? So i would need the yolk gear and the main gear? Or???????
Damn swapping gears almost sounds harder then putting the lift kit in

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Swapping gears is no nice job, I'd much much rather put in a lift. I havent actually done gears but i researched everything and was about to do my own, but just scrapped the idea until I could afford to get it done professionally. i'm not sure you will find 4.56 in any truck you will most likley have to buy them new.

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you wont find any 4:56s in a vehicle (unless some one already swaped them into it
id say do it all at once if you can afford to have it down long enough and can have all of it at once
i also suggest that you swap your 10bolt for a 14 bolt, 14s are a much stronger axle and your going to be down there anyways

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Your first time doing a gear swap(with new parts already in hand ready to go in), will take a good whole day especially if you're taking your time....which is always a plus. Rushing usually makes ya forget things.

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
you can get them at 4wheelparts.com which will tell you everything you need or call them.

willdabeast69

Mudd Slutt
Reaction score
if you buy a military K30 (M1008) they come with 4.56 gears. some even have 5.13s in em too

forty6and2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
would anyone be able to drop me some links of where the best place to get these gears are?? at the best price.

i need links to
the 14 bolt rear diff gears and the front diff gears as well..

thanks guys :)