4.3 v6 knock sensor issues after swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ok so i havr a 92 chevy c1500 originally had a 4.3 v6 auto i recently spun a bearing so i did a motor swap to another 4.3 v6 manual (yes swapped my auto flywheel onto new motor) but this has plastic vortec valve cover and motor has balance shaft if that helps. My issue is my harness has only 1 knock sensor and the new motor has 2 one behind passenger side on the block and 2 by plugs 3 &5 (how do i wire in the 2nd knock sensor to a 1knock sensor harness can i just splice into existing knock sensor wire?) also since mine was auto can i use my old knock sensor and replace the new motors sensor by 3&5? Or can i just run 1 knock sensor my original sensor if i re use and replace in position stated above^ would it affect the motor?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your computer only expects information from one knock sensor. Use the original sensor from your first engine, in whatever location is the most similar to your first engine.

Hope for the best.

Reaction score
Your computer only expects information from one knock sensor. Use the original sensor from your first engine, in whatever location is the most similar to your first engine.

Hope for the best.
Thats kinda what i figured i was just unsure thank you for the advice ! I finally got the motor in last night

Attachments

• IMG_0816.png
    IMG_0816.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0817.png
    IMG_0817.png
    976.3 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Update got it in and running

Hope for the best.
update made a new thread but the original one didnt fit in the new block as the threads were alot smaller in diameter to the sensor replaced it with part # su1124 from auto zone and plugged sensor in definitely brought it more to life but not having the 2nd sensor i feel is why my trucks still not running properly still slow on accel so just plugging it in and hoping 1 sensor wouldnt be an issue unfortunately didnt work original motor was a 92 tbi new motor is a 94 vortec tbi all sensors have fit exactly how the old motor except missing one knock sensor sensor on factory 92 harness

Reaction score
Did you check fuel pressure?

All the normal "tune-up" items usable and in place?

Connect a scan tool, look at the data stream.
I havent im sending it to the shop next week on Tuesday but trying to save money thats why im on here it has new plugs,wires, and prior to swap I replaced the fuel filter and used my old throttle body that worked perfectly fine on the old motor but i mean definitely doesn’t hurt to have the shop check fuel pressure its obd1 still so i cant plug in a scanner to tell me whats wrong with it

Reaction score
I havent im sending it to the shop next week on Tuesday but trying to save money thats why im on here it has new plugs,wires, and prior to swap I replaced the fuel filter and used my old throttle body that worked perfectly fine on the old motor but i mean definitely doesn’t hurt to have the shop check fuel pressure its obd1 still so i cant plug in a scanner to tell me whats wrong with it
I have done the paperclip trick in the past but i haven’t done it
Did you check fuel pressure?

All the normal "tune-up" items usable and in place?

Connect a scan tool, look at the data stream.
also i did the old paper clip trick in the obd jumped A & B waited for code 12 to pass three times and ya its not throwing any codes at all just a constant of 1….1,2